Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM

Default Re: PT 10 release. What went good and not so good.

I like the icons. Hopefully they do something tft with the icon look.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
I like the icons. Hopefully they do something tft with the icon look.
I think the icon es are spiffy. Having used them they don't feel the same plastiky as the eucon. But that could be just personal taste. I like the dark theme of the icons, matches better with the HD I/O.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-23-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
I really think the pricing on this update is to force new adoption to the HDx.

More HDx users = more AAx plugs = 64bit PT11.

That's how I see it. I don't like it but it seems obvious to me.

Carl
Maby we will see 64 bit sooner than later?
Like within a year instead of 2 to 3 years?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
All of this is just an unfair mess and is upsetting for almost anyone in any situation. Perhaps the fact that all the information isn't out front to the customer is part of this mess.
I agree with this. The most important part of a relationship is communication. Send out emails and inform us your customers that you care about us more than you just got our money. Who has time to look through all the nooks and crannies of a website. Your homepage shows all the great things and promises of great gear and great sound, but if you lack customer service you will lack customers in the long run. Don't depended on up and coming students in schools to stay loyal when there are a bunch of customers that you have lost due to bad taste in their mouths about you.

I remember watching the Frank Filipetti webnair and he even said that for a long time you have walked around like "we're Avid or Digidesign" and all of us should just except it. When you opened up last year talking about the brand new face lift of the company with equipment and software, but you left out the most important part...Customer Care!!! Communication is Key!!!

Think on this, your company was struggling to get back its unified name Avid. You came out with Pro Tools 9HD and a Native card that was your bread and butter in 2011. Now those customers where the ones that saved Avid and now your asking us Native customers to dish out a thousand dollars and that's a thank you to us? That is whats insulting when I see a customer who has the CPTK and can upgrade for $350.00 and I get slapped with an extra charge of $650.00 difference because I spent more money on buying a Native setup?

I hope you listen to us and see where we are coming from!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 AM

Unhappy Re: PT 10 release. What went good and not so good.

+1 for all these posts. Probably AVID will think again and again will fall in love with the users.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 AM

Default I guess I'm not "pro to the core".

Looking @ Avid's finance stats give an idea as to why the upgrades are so expensive. They're currently operating at a substancial loss. Now, the questions is always one of price vs. number of sales. Avid obviously decided to up the price for pro users thinking we have to buy.

But the upgrade prices really don't work for me either. I bought the PT9HD upgrade to play around with (I'm still on PCI-x) and only wish I hadn't installed it already 'cause I would've liked a free PT10 upgrade. As for the hardware upgrade, hm....

Finally, like many others here, I've been around Digi for a LONG time. I've found the pricing slightly arrogant for some time (it was fine when they were competing with Sonic Solutions in the 90's) and the updates never quite enough but was immensely happy to see Avid open to third party interfaces.

This time I can't follow suit - to many mouths to feed and not enough bread. I guess I'm not "pro to the core".

Can't wait to hear how the systems sounds, though... >:)
Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Re: I guess I'm not "pro to the core".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaViking II View Post
Looking @ Avid's finance stats give an idea as to why the upgrades are so expensive. They're currently operating at a substancial loss. Now, the questions is always one of price vs. number of sales. Avid obviously decided to up the price for pro users thinking we have to buy.
And this is where Avid grossly miscalculated. They are clearly attempting to shore up their balance sheet by attempting to rape their pro and high end users, which I'm betting will only exacerbate their losses when they look back on their Q4 revenues.

They should have gone the other way, a la Apple's cheap Lion upgrade, and gotten everybody. Instead, Avid will get a tiny number of buyers, as most current users will either stay put where they are now, or abandon PT and switch to Logic/Reaper/Cubendo.

It's such a shame too, with all the good will that Avid had gained with their rollout of PT9, to give it all back and then some with this fiasco.

I'll stay put on my current HD system and look forward to purchasing HDX in a few years deeply discounted on the second hand market, with no monetary benefit to Avid.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 AM

For my 2 cents worth, this should have been a free update. Charging this much for measly options is really just bad business. You can be guaranteed that in the next installment of this fiasco, when PT finally has the 64bit capability other DAW's have for well under half the price of what i have spent throughout the years, that upgrading from PT9 to PT10 to apparently 64bit PT11, us small home studio people who have been loyal customers for years will be forking out upwards of $1000+. I will bet my balls on it! Double or triple that amount for the HD users considering all of our current hardware will probably be obsolete and we will have to purchase new gear. Bring back a reasonable digidesign and kill off the corporate greed of Avid.

Win 7, PT 9, 11 rack, superior drummer 2.2, Gibson guitars, yamaha bass, Dimebag washburn
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I especially feel for a Pro Tools 7.4 user. If they paid the upgrades, they would have paid $250 to go Pro Tools 8 and then $350 to go to Pro Tools 9 and then $1000 to go to Pro Tools 10. That would equal $1600. Yet they missed out on all of those features. And now if they want to upgrade, not only will they have to pay all of those upgrade prices, but they will also have to pay an additional $900. That's insane and unfair.
I completely agree. Well said.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 AM

I wish AVID would chime in and explain the pricing. Maybe I could learn some trick to increase my income.