Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2003, 10:43 PM

Default Best way to use UREI 535 EQ?

I just bought my first hardware EQ, a UREI 535 unit. I mainly want to use it for vocals. Should I use it as a sidechain of my Penta while tracking, or should I track as usual and use a send/return to EQ after tracking. Basically I'm asking what is the best way to patch this into my system and use it?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Best way to use UREI 535 EQ?

Anyone?
Old 01-07-2003, 05:59 PM

Well, according to my penta instruction manual, the eq on the sidechain is useful in "directing" the compressor how to react to the signal. I don't really know what difference it makes, but I was just curious. Anyhow, what do you think of the 535? Any suggestions?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daryl bowden:
Well, according to my penta instruction manual, the eq on the sidechain is useful in "directing" the compressor how to react to the signal. I don't really know what difference it makes, but I was just curious. Anyhow, what do you think of the 535? Any suggestions?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It'll let you EQ the input to the compressor's detector.. basically say you feed the main signal through the unit.. but you mult the input to the EQ and bandpass only the high frequencies.. and feed the EQ output into the compressor's sidechain input... you've just created a de-esser. I'm sure if you did a Google search for 'compressor' and 'sidechain', you'll get a dozen or more explanations.

The 535 is an "okay" unit which is useful for getting certain "punk" type guitar sounds. Most, at this point in their lives, have really bad faders tho'.

Cheers.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-08-2003, 12:12 AM

My question would have to be.. why do you need to use this on vocals while tracking? It's better to use the right microphone and pre amp combo, than use any EQ while tracking a vocal.

I do own a 535.. but I've only used it on electric guitars.. if you were to use it for your application, I'd probably save it to use as a hardware insert while mixing where you can adjust for any AD and DA propagation delays.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••