Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 10-13-2019, 09:55 PM

Default Re: How to go from Apple TV digital out to MTRX?

Yep, the 64 ch Dante card is about $500, but well worth every penny. You can use those adapters to get any analog signal into it (or out, they make opposite adapters too). Plus any computer you have can run Dante Virtual Sound card and run audio to your MTRX too.

Here’s a different question. What is between your MTRX and your speakers? For example, I have a QSC QSYS in between mine. So I ran my Apple TV into a home stereo and into the Q-Sys. And bypass the MTRX. Just tossing more ideas out.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 10-13-2019, 10:03 PM

All my old Pro Tools systems from years ago when I had outboard Lexicon boxes, etc., were all word clock synced. Never had any problems. But stuff without word clock needs both AES in and out connected. Then it works fine. The Apple has no IN. Apple TV is consumer-grade stuff unfortunately.

My computer is a trash can Mac Pro, no Optical in...

The RME box looks good...thx.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Here’s a different question. What is between your MTRX and your speakers? For example, I have a QSC QSYS in between mine. So I ran my Apple TV into a home stereo and into the Q-Sys. And bypass the MTRX. Just tossing more ideas out.
Nothing, MTRX goes right to powered monitors.

QSYS looks great BTW! Thanks for the alternate ideas...
Old 10-14-2019, 12:55 AM

I've been pondering something similar too, with either an Apple TV, fetch, or smart TV with optical out. How are you handling the audio once it hits Pro Tools? I assume a dolby surround decoder or something along those lines is needed to create a discrete 5.1 output?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
I want to extract digital audio from an Apple TV 4th Gen with a HDMI + HDMI Audio extractor box. This extracts an Optical output from the HDMI signal. This then goes to a HOSA Optical to AES/EBU converter box. And from here it goes to the Avid MTRX AES-in.

This doesn't work because the extractor doesn't have a Optical IN for clocking. The result is the audio plays but drops out every few seconds.

No HDMI audio extractor I've found have an Optical IN, only OUTPUT.

Is there a better way to do this? I need all my MTRX analog inputs otherwise I just use them.
If your HDMI extractor also has SPDIF output, try the bellow AES/EBU impedance converter from Neutrik, connect then straight to the MTRX AES in and ditch the Hosa. MTRX needs to be at the same sample rate as the audio coming from the Apple TV out:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/naditbnc-m

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 10-14-2019, 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=paulo m;2541209]If your HDMI extractor also has SPDIF output, try the bellow AES/EBU impedance converter from Neutrik, connect then straight to the MTRX AES in and ditch the Hosa. MTRX needs to be at the same sample rate as the audio coming from the Apple TV out:

Thanks. Isn't that just for long cable runs? Not sure how that would help...
Old 10-14-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I've been pondering something similar too, with either an Apple TV, fetch, or smart TV with optical out. How are you handling the audio once it hits Pro Tools? I assume a dolby surround decoder or something along those lines is needed to create a discrete 5.1 output?
Right now I only need a stereo connection...
Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 AM

Catalina has Apple TV on the Mac... so you *might* be able to get at the audio there using Soundflower or similar.... record it into Garage Band, copy to another Mac to use Pro Tools. Or set up a dual boot on your Trashcan? :-(
Old 10-14-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post

Thanks. Isn't that just for long cable runs? Not sure how that would help...
No, it´s an impedance transformer from 75 ohm unbalanced (SPDIF coax) to 110 ohm AES/EBU. Nothing to do with cable lenght in this case. I´ve run non clockable gear like CD players, computer sound cards etc. like this and never had the problems you described. Maybe in your case, is the optical to electrical conversion that is causing the problem. It´s just a guess, not sure, but a cheap way of trying. The Dante analogue and AES breakouts work fine, but you´d need a Dante card for the MTRX and also an HDMI extractor with analogue outs, plus a balancing unit, as the HDMI extractors that I know, most have only unbalanced outs. It´s a much more expensive proposition I guess.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 10-14-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Catalina has Apple TV on the Mac... so you *might* be able to get at the audio there using Soundflower or similar.... record it into Garage Band, copy to another Mac to use Pro Tools. Or set up a dual boot on your Trashcan? :-(
I'm just looking to hear the Apple TV, not wanting to record its output...