Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 PM

Default Buying a computer

hey guys, I recently made a post regarding a lot of issues that I've been having with pro tools

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=343972

Everyone in this thread had a lot of different ideas, but it supposedly came down to the 8mb memory cache on my motherboard.

Now I've bought a solid state hard drive with a USB 3 connection and still no luck, so my next splurge will most definitely be a new computer.

My question for you guys is, can you tell me everything I need in a laptop to have pro tools running smoothly? There seem to be so many factors and variables that a non savvy guy like me can't figure it out. I have a fear that I'm pouring money into this thing just to find out that the next laptop I buy has some other thing wrong with it that I have to go out and pour more money into. I want a list of spec requirements that I can take to a computer guy and be absolutely (or at least be 99% sure) that the computer will work with pro tools. I'm happy to pay as much as I need to spend, I just want some security and peace of mind that what I buy WILL be a working pro tools machine.

So yeah, if someone could give me a FULL list of specs I that need for a windows laptop that would work with pro tools, I would be super duper grateful.

EDIT: I know a lot of people will probably tell me to just look up the pro tools system requirements on the avid website. I would do this, but there are no actual system requirements on this site, only examples of laptops that work with pro tools, which is pretty poor if you ask me.

PLEEEEEASE people, I'm really desperate. I can't find this info anywhere and if I don't get a response from you guys then I have no clue where to start looking

Last edited by Paul Nelthorpe; 09-28-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Buying a computer

It's probably also worth noting that I'm currently using Pro tools 8 LE with a USB mbox 2, but at some point am planning to upgrade to pro tools 11
Old 09-28-2013, 05:31 PM

Bump. Anyone? What am I looking for

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/

If anyone can find me a decent on this website, consider it purchased.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:04 PM

Just my 2 cents(as a Windows user), but the only laptop I would get is a Mac Book Pro i7(likely a refurbed late model that still has a firewire port). Maybe someone else can offer a specific Windows model that is a solid performer. Without that solid recommendation, Windows laptops are too much of a crap shoot for me.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-28-2013, 11:25 PM

I was wondering more on a technical level what to get. I come on these forums and read all these posts where people have problems, and the response is usually "your computer is lacking in this or that respect, get it upgraded or get a new computer yada yada"
I'm pretty much looking for some real "system requirements."

Like do I need a computer with a certain amount of RAM, a certain hard drive speed, minimum memory cache, all of that [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. I just want a decent rundown of what a computer needs to be able to run pro tools.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 AM

I don't know much about Windows but maybe a PC laptop is tough because it's not just RAM and hard drive speed that matter but also there's components that are known to not be working with pro tools like video cards etc..

It seems like the Windows users are pretty tech savvy with what works with their builds but they are mostly talking about putting together towers, not laptops.

For laptops that are known to be working great with pro tools maybe check out macs?

Again, not a Windows PC person here... Likely I'm wrong and there is a great off the shelf windows laptop for protools someone will recommend.

For me, I have a mid 2009 MacBook pro with 8g Ram running pro tools 11 and 10 like a charm. I can only imagine a newer better one than mine will be more than enough.

Good luck with your search!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 AM

So if I go to my computer store and pick up a macbook pro, I should be sweet?

Someone mentioned in my previous thread that the internal computer drive needs to be above 7200 rpm. I'm struggling to even find a mac that has an internal drive that does 7200rpm

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/apple-co...dsau-xa1106web
Would one of these do the job?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 AM

The system drive speed only affects loading time. Once you've gone SSD though you'll never look back. But a 5400 rpm drive will do the job. Regardless of speed, it's never recommended to record to the system drive. You need a second recording drive. That's where the 7200 rpm or faster rule comes into play. And for the most part any newer unibody MacBook Pro should do fine. You can even install windows on it if you'd like. They probably are the best recommendation for laptops out there.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
The system drive speed only affects loading time. Once you've gone SSD though you'll never look back. But a 5400 rpm drive will do the job. Regardless of speed, it's never recommended to record to the system drive. You need a second recording drive. That's where the 7200 rpm or faster rule comes into play. And for the most part any newer unibody MacBook Pro should do fine. You can even install windows on it if you'd like. They probably are the best recommendation for laptops out there.
Cheers dude, I already have a solid state external drive with a thunderbolt connection, so I should be sweet for my audio drive.

How does this look - http://www.dicksmith.com.au/apple-co...hz-dsau-xa1106
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
I don't know much about Windows but maybe a PC laptop is tough because it's not just RAM and hard drive speed that matter but also there's components that are known to not be working with pro tools like video cards etc..

It seems like the Windows users are pretty tech savvy with what works with their builds but they are mostly talking about putting together towers, not laptops.

For laptops that are known to be working great with pro tools maybe check out macs?

Again, not a Windows PC person here... Likely I'm wrong and there is a great off the shelf windows laptop for protools someone will recommend.

For me, I have a mid 2009 MacBook pro with 8g Ram running pro tools 11 and 10 like a charm. I can only imagine a newer better one than mine will be more than enough.

Good luck with your search!
Or would I be safer to go with this - http://www.dicksmith.com.au/apple-co...hz-dsau-xa1107

Both links have specs on them