Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Default PT 8.0.3 and Snow Leopard Issues

Hello,

Just upgraded to a new Mac Pro, Snow Leopard, Pro Tools 8.0.3, and purchased some new hardware. All this is great but it makes troubleshooting problems very difficult. I assume that some of the problems I'm having are strictly bugs/compatibility issues that aren't specific to my situation while others may be me overlooking something silly. Thanks in advance for the help.

- Cannot bounce to Quicktime movie (I believe I read this was a known PT 8.0.3 issue)

- When I import a QT movie it does not play (it shows the entire video within pro tools but when I attempt to play it, it freezes the video at the first frame and the audio plays normally). If I open a session that has a movie in it it plays fine or if I import it using session data it plays as well.

- When I attempt to open an older session I get an access violation error and it will not let me open the session.

Some older session do open however, I'm not sure why some work and others don't. Similarly, I have been getting a bunch of "access violation" errors for a variety of different things. This sounds more like a snow leopard issues than PT. Sometimes if I just close PT and reopen it, it fixes the problem and other times it does not.

Again thanks for the help, hopefully it can help others as well. If you click on my name above the post you can find most of my hardware/software specs, if it would be helpful to have any more information please let me know. I'll come back with more issues I'm sure as they arise.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:12 PM

Default Re: PT 8.0.3 and Snow Leopard Issues

8.0.3 is not ready by a long shot. I went back to 8.0.1 on new Mac Pro with Leopard and it works just as well as previous versions.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM

8.0.3pr is definetely not ready for prime time yet, but its purpose is to be able to TEST our systems and more importantly let the 3rd party plugin vendors test their stuff against something. Digi has given them a fair head start now, a big thumbs up :)
Old 10-20-2009, 03:45 PM

I am running PT 8.0cs3/HD2 Accel on MacPro Harpertown 8 Core OSX 10.6.1. Apart from the well known GUI issue with some of the AIR plugs (Structure, Hybrid ...), I have had no problems whatsoever. The system is stable. There may be issues with plugins that I do not own, but Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, ikmultimedia plugs, massey plugs, pitch n time, melodyne Izotope RX, and other 3rd party plugs are working fine. I am a Kensington Trackball (Expert Mouse) user, highly dependent on the scroll wheel, so upgrading to 8.0.1 or 8.0.3r has not been an option. (Off Topic-- 8.0.3r will also prevent using the original mbox on my PTLE MacBook Pro rig - also running 8.0cs3 with 10.6.1.) 8.0cs3 is not qualified nor supported by Digi for Snow Leopard, but it might actually be the best option for some users until a reliable Snow Leopard approved update comes along.
As always have a reliable working clone before jumping into this or any other update (approved or ortherwise).