Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-17-2005, 08:37 AM

Default PT 7.0 Poor Performance - A Solution?

Some have been reporting poor performance on sessions that seemed to have much better performance pre version 7.0.

It may be just me but I've found that importing session data into a brand new 7.0 file seems to rectify performance issues which seem to appear in 5/6 sessions opened by 7.0.

Is it me or have others/can others try and see if they get the same result?

Digi - is this a possible/probable scenario? Is there any chance that 7.0 may have issues with sessions created in earlier versions that are rectified by importing them into a 'virgin' 7.0 session?

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT 7.0 Poor Performance - A Solution?

Quote:
Some have been reporting poor performance on sessions that seemed to have much better performance pre version 7.0.

It may be just me but I've found that importing session data into a brand new 7.0 file seems to rectify performance issues which seem to appear in 5/6 sessions opened by 7.0.

Is it me or have others/can others try and see if they get the same result?

Digi - is this a possible/probable scenario? Is there any chance that 7.0 may have issues with sessions created in earlier versions that are rectified by importing them into a 'virgin' 7.0 session?
Curious if you're seeing the poor performance (please describe what "poor" means, please) even after you save as a 7.0 version?

Also, are there any auto-renamed audio files upon opening? (In 7.0, we auto-rename illegal character files).

Thanks.

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM

Sorry I thought I had made myself clear. Pre 7.0 sessions ran without any (increase H/W buffer) messages and now are showing those messages in the new 7.0 version. This is not a matter of urban myth, but a matter of open the session on the same machine in 6.9 and no problems, open it in 7.0 and then (increase H/W buffer) messages are showing up.

However, if you import to track rather than open the 6.9 session into 7.0 and the session returns to normal.

Hope that makes it clear.

You can also see other reports of this on the DUC http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#913195

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#913381

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#911242

And please don't anyone say we are all making it up! If anyone else is having these problems keep posting replies to keep this subject on the top of the list.

Back to the question, what could happen by doing this that would cure it?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:07 PM

I have experienced the same thing.

With low HW buffer settings (128), I open a session that plays fine in 6.9 and it won't play in 7.0.

When I bump up the settings it works great and allows me to add even more plugs than ever possible.

My observation is that for previous sessions with many plugs at low buffer settings the performance is not as good as it was before 7.0.

It seems that I have to be more aware of the settings than ever before. The good news is I'm using a massive number of plugs in 7.0 now when I set the HW buffer to 1024 and it works excellent.

Rock on.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:03 AM

Bump!

To be honest the more I experience this the more it seems to be a bug in 7.0. The sessions just stop for no reason, loads of CPU power left, minimal plugins.

Even more so, you can restart play immediately and it will run happy for hours without changing a thing.

I know Digi get lots of 'your software is crap' kinda posts and rants, but this is a genuine issue we would like you to look into.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:24 AM

Quote:
at low buffer settings the performance is not as good as it was before 7.0
this is bad. the buffer setting of 256 is the biggest that is usable in live situations. if PT7 is not stable with 256 buffer at +85% loads, then it's still work in progress and we have not seen the best of it.

remember; PT6 performance was perfected with 6.4 release - maybe we need to wait until at least 7.1 or so...
Old 11-18-2005, 03:27 AM

Quote:
sessions just stop for no reason
prevents from using PT7 in live projects for the time being. as with all software, the dot-zero release is actually a public beta that is not to be used as a production system - better to wait until it's perfected. (currently the most stable OSX protools is version 6.4 on a 10.3.4 operating system. top that and i'm happy)
Old 11-18-2005, 06:29 AM

It may be a mac only bug. I have experienced amazing performance gains, with no additional optimizations in my system nor updated plugins on the PC. I had sessions that consumed 88% of my CPU brought down to a remarkable 20-32% only by installing PTLE 7.

Go figure,

Old 11-18-2005, 06:51 AM

Which version of Tiger?

Old 11-18-2005, 11:10 AM

Bump!