How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 02-07-2016, 12:42 PM

Default Re: S6 Workflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
Vertical view of a channels sends isn't something I would use. I'm usually adjusting a reverb send for several tracks at once, so the current default view works great for me. Just my 2 cents.

It would be great if pressing EQ again closes the plugin window. My brain expects that to happen, so I always press it when I'm done. Then when nothing happens, I remember it doesn't work, and I press Sends to make the Channel Strip plugin window close.

I like your new function of having multiple presses of the EQ button cycle through all loaded EQ's. When you press it after the last EQ, the window should close.
That sounds very useful.
Agree. I've been following this thread and thinking the same thing. It sounds like an optimum approach would be to provide preference selectable options for the various approaches since its pretty clear that different folks have different needs in this area.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Hi Jeff,

Thought I'd throw a few quick thoughts in here (probably all very obvious) just so they're written down somewhere:

- would love to be able to use the assignable knob in PT. Opportunities come up all the time. Hope it's coming????
- I actually could use the lights around the wheel to be activated; even if they just showed an initially arbitrary light blob (bright in the middle, softer going one or two LEDs away in each direction for instance) as a visual reference.
- this one's not a "Workflow" comment but a bug note on layouts: In one case I have two layouts storing the same layout except for knob assignments. When I select the first, all is well. Same when I select the second. However, if I leave layouts then select the first again, it comes up with the second's knob assignments. I'm pretty sure it started doing that in V2 and not before.
- I'm probably missing something but I'd appreciate a "Done" button (or similar) in the soft key assignments page. Sometimes I think I've assigned something and when I come back, it's gone. I clearly left the page at the wrong point but I can't actually quite figure out WHEN the S6 thinks I'm done!
- this one's a little hard to explain - I'd like to be free of my track pad. I don't think that's totally possible (scattered selections for example - that's always just going to be easier with a mouse or track pad), but many edit functions require one to "press the button" and then drag and I don't think there's any corresponding utility on the S6 for all those edit functions?? Seems like it would be easy to implement??
- sure miss quantitative graph axes labels on the display panels and MM… (how MANY dB up or down is that??) - (could be selectable in "Preferences")
- I'd like to be able to assign the "User" keys in the "Track/Color Modifier Keys" section - surely that' one's coming…
- there's a little black "space" at the top of all channel strips on each of the display screens - great place for the "Heat" meter light??

Hope something in there is useful - thanks for asking!!
Russ
Some of this is already on the future list. I can't seem to reproduce the layout recall issue ? Any more details on which knobsets you have in each layout etc. ?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM

We've got two M10s with 24 faders as four fader modules and the master module is on the right side. I guess I'm in a special situation as we also do live broadcast with the S6s.
Layouts, spill zone and the spill L or R feature is very essential for us.
If I need something quickly, I usually use the attention key on the VCA to get things to the spill zone.
If I need to have something in front of me but would still need something, I whether use the spill L&R or a duplicate layout with few modifications to the original.
- Virtual layouts would help me greatly. For instance if I could assign more than 24 channels to one layout and bank in the layouts.
- Adding more knowledge to Flip would be great. I'm already happy to have it, but it'd be great if I could select what I need to flip and then flip it to the faders.
- Is there any chance that third party plugin developers would be able to implement curves on the master module just as Avid's channel strip, Pro Comp, etc. have?
- Maybe I can't really describe this properly, but I'd like to see some kind of temp group feature, where I could link/group tracks so their parameters, plugin adjustment would be temporary linked. You can see this in some live consoles and this very convenient.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Some of this is already on the future list. I can't seem to reproduce the layout recall issue ? Any more details on which knobsets you have in each layout etc. ?
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the response. Glad at least some of that stuff is on it's way. Hopefully you and all the other Avid S6 guys will consider the rest as well!

As for the layouts, I'm running an M40-16-5D* system and the two layouts I'm referring to set all 16 faders to the same tracks but with two different process/knob module settings. I just traded up from an M10-8-5 system with similar 8 fader layouts that didn't have this issue. Would it help if I sent you the two layout files? If so, please let me know where to send them. Glad to help any way I can.

Thanks,
Russ

* for what it's worth, back to the general topic: I have 8-fader/process/knob modules on either side of the MM/AM center section. I generally use two basic workflows. One is VCAs on the left, selected spills on the right (alla the Mick Guzauski approach he describes in his Avid video interview, except of course I have to page through anything greater than an 8 fader group so the recent addition of the ability to page within spills was very valuable) and the other, simply paging through sessions 16 fader banks at a time. In this case I either expand per track and process (or "local" VCA spill) as needed or leave things un-expanded when working on more than one track/process simultaneously (which I often do). I never use the new auto knob module assign function, probably because I only have two knob modules and they're always already being used for something per the above.

Last edited by rus5; 02-09-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
We've got two M10s with 24 faders as four fader modules and the master module is on the right side. I guess I'm in a special situation as we also do live broadcast with the S6s.

Layouts, spill zone and the spill L or R feature is very essential for us.

If I need something quickly, I usually use the attention key on the VCA to get things to the spill zone.

If I need to have something in front of me but would still need something, I whether use the spill L&R or a duplicate layout with few modifications to the original.

- Virtual layouts would help me greatly. For instance if I could assign more than 24 channels to one layout and bank in the layouts.

- Adding more knowledge to Flip would be great. I'm already happy to have it, but it'd be great if I could select what I need to flip and then flip it to the faders.

- Is there any chance that third party plugin developers would be able to implement curves on the master module just as Avid's channel strip, Pro Comp, etc. have?

- Maybe I can't really describe this properly, but I'd like to see some kind of temp group feature, where I could link/group tracks so their parameters, plugin adjustment would be temporary linked. You can see this in some live consoles and this very convenient.

Virtual Layouts are being worked on as Eddie mentioned. That is when you start making layouts which exceed the number of physical faders on your S6. We have worked and are always willing to work with 3rd parties to add support for plots. So far you can see plots on 3rd party products from Sonnox, McDSP, and Fabfilter off the top of my head. Please encourage the particular plug-in manufacturer to connect with Avid developer services so we can help facilitate better pagetables and support for plots on EQ and DYN products.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Hi Eddie,
you and all the other Avid S6 guys will consider the rest as well!

As for the layouts, I'm running an M40-16-5D* system and the two layouts I'm referring to set all 16 faders to the same tracks but with two different process/knob module settings. I just traded up from an M10-8-5 system with similar 8 fader layouts that didn't have this issue. Would it help if I sent you the two layout files? If so, please let me know where to send them. Glad to help any way I can.

Thanks,
Russ
My system is exactly the same size as yours so am not sure what's going on with them. Send me the layouts and I'll take a look.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
We have worked and are always willing to work with 3rd parties to add support for plots. So far you can see plots on 3rd party products from Sonnox, McDSP, and Fabfilter off the top of my head. Please encourage the particular plug-in manufacturer to connect with Avid developer services so we can help facilitate better pagetables and support for plots on EQ and DYN products.
Jeff
Thanks, I didn't realise that. Then I start to send out emails. :)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
I'd like to see some kind of temp group feature, where I could link/group tracks so their parameters, plugin adjustment would be temporary linked. You can see this in some live consoles and this very convenient.
Interesting! I would find that very useful. I frequently have to write plugin automation, then copy it down to one or more channels. I would like to be able to temporarily 'gang' together parameters between two channels and write them at the same time, while only physically changing one channel at that moment.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM

Lucien, you can gang multiple channels' plugin controls. Just make a group & select which slots or sends you want to gang.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
Lucien, you can gang multiple channels' plugin controls. Just make a group & select which slots or sends you want to gang.

True, but setting that up is slower than copying plugin automation from one track to another. Using groups makes a lot of sense if the tracks need to be linked over a long period of time. But I was thinking of something fast for making a quick adjustment over a single sound effect that may have parts in multiple tracks.

Honestly, it sounded like a cool idea at first, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I would use a feature like that very infrequently. Still a cool idea, but I'll be putting that at the bottom of my wish list.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment