Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Smile Could anyone recommend an antivirus software

I know - my daw should be kept off line...but I need to do some things conveniently hence for my DAW partition I am seeking a anti-virus software.

Are there any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Could anyone recommend an antivirus software

AVG free.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM

From Comodo

http://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php
http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-...t-security.php

- KB
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM

ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

Smallest memory footprint I have found.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...59#post1436559
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-21-2009, 05:33 PM

I would recommend a combination of programs, because Iv never seen one program that can handel everything well.

AVG Free ,i think its like version 8.5 now
And SUPER Anti Spyware Free.

As the names imply, they are free. Use AVG while surfing, and use Super to scan the PC every week or two. I would also scan with AVG once a month or more, depending on if you do alot of downloading.

You wont have to worry about memory footprint if you just disable them before you start PT.

You can check both these out on CNet, but I suggest downloading from the manufacturers web sites, because CNet is usually a build or 2 behind the most current version.

PC: Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.33Ghz- 12GB Ram
Mac: Intel 8 core Mac Pro- 20GB Ram
Pro Tools Interfaces: PT HD3, 003R+, 003, Mbox Pro, Mbox Micro.
3 C-24's
Icon-D
PT 8
Certified Digidesign Engineer and Instructor
Old 08-22-2009, 03:48 AM

I used to use AVG but have moved over to Avira (free).

I also use Malwarebytes, Adaware & Cure-It for virus checking (all free too).

For a firewall you can do a lot worse than Online Armor (which also has a program guard option which I find great for better peace of mind).

Shifting Sands Audio
www.shiftingsandsaudio.com
soundcloud.com/shiftingsands

Asus X79 Deluxe | i7 4930K @ 4.1 | 32Gb Ripjaws CL9 GBLZ | Radeon R5 230 | Win7 Pro (64) | 256Gb Samsung 850 SSD | 2x 1Tb Seagate SATA | 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD | 128 Samsung SSD | Antec 650W | ProTools 11.3.2HD, 10.3.9HD, 12.5 | Cubase 9.0.20 Pro | Nuendo 8 | Studio One 3.2 Pro | RME UFX | 2x Octopre Mkii Dynamic | Alphatrack | DTouch | Logitech G510 | Kensington Trackball | Yamaha UX256
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 AM

We spend a fortune in time and money building high spec machines, then need to downgrade the performance with antivirus stuff...

I now have low spec machine built from bits as internet machine, with mcafee on it, and higher spec protools machine without virus protection.

If I ever connect the high spec machine to internet, I occasionally do so via home network through low spec machine for updates etc.
Any and all stuff that goes onto protools machine is scanned on the protected machine first.

In this way you can maintain performance, and an internet machine doesn't have to be high spec so all those dollars spent on performance aint wasted.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:25 AM

In 2009, common sense still remains the best anti-virus software. And, no, that's not the name of a program. I haven't used anti-virus software on any of my machines for almost a decade and I haven't gotten any viruses in that time. Then again, my parents can't seem to go a week without getting one on their machine...

I know you prefaced your post with the fact that you "know your DAW should be kept offline," but even if it isn't, you should have no need for anti-virus software on your DAW partition. You shouldn't be surfing around sites you shouldn't be on your work machine, and you shouldn't be downloading anything questionable period. Also, your clients shouldn't be bringing over anything that's an .exe file; Just audio files and project files. So, even if your DAW IS connected to the internet, I ask you, why do you feel you need anti-virus software? Honest question...

And, to answer your question, AVG Free is fine.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
In 2009, common sense still remains the best anti-virus software. And, no, that's not the name of a program. I haven't used anti-virus software on any of my machines for almost a decade and I haven't gotten any viruses in that time. Then again, my parents can't seem to go a week without getting one on their machine...

I know you prefaced your post with the fact that you "know your DAW should be kept offline," but even if it isn't, you should have no need for anti-virus software on your DAW partition. You shouldn't be surfing around sites you shouldn't be on your work machine, and you shouldn't be downloading anything questionable period. Also, your clients shouldn't be bringing over anything that's an .exe file; Just audio files and project files. So, even if your DAW IS connected to the internet, I ask you, why do you feel you need anti-virus software? Honest question...

And, to answer your question, AVG Free is fine.
man, i admire your moxie but it's really not 'all' about where one goes while online. it's about how vulnerable you rig is 'while' online. so as lucky or smart as you've feel like you've been, just remember MS is constantly findin' and fixin' their code so that it cannot be exploited. and IMHO viruses are the child's play of hackers. but data theft is anythin' but that. and that's what you also seem to leave yourself open to (if you bank online). well anyway, here's hopin' you really do have things in place and are not 'just' relyin' on luck. because what you describe is for your system to just be waitin' for a unknown and unwanted ping!!! just sayin'

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff