Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 latency with Antelope Orion 32

I recently purchased an Antelope Orion 32. Previously I was using a BLA modded Digi 002r and an RME ADI-8 AE attached via ADAT. Windows 7 x64. That worked pretty well and as far as latency goes, I was able to set the buffer size to 64, although usually I ran it at 128 samples. Sometimes I increased it to 256 or 512 if I had larger mixes with lots of plugins. Then when recording I used the "low latency mode" which as far as I understand, routes the tracks being recorded directly to the main outputs so you get lower latency (as opposed to going in the DAW and back out to the outputs).

So now enter the Orion 32. It has its own ASIO drivers and its own control panel application. It has an ASIO buffer setting and a USB streaming. changing the ASIO buffer setting does not do much but changing the USB streaming setting to "minimal latency" then sets the Pro Tools Buffer size to 128 samples.

I confirmed with Antelope that they observed the same behavior. They also tell me that with other DAW software, they can get the latency/sample size down below 128 samples. and they said that with Pro Tools 11, the ASIO buffer setting in the Orion control panel now affects the Buffer sample size in Pro Tools, but they still cant get it below 128. Unfortunately the 128 sample buffer size is right on the edge of being useless for tracking and some people are more sensitive than others to latency, so I really need to find a way around this (which at this point I am hoping does not require purchasing an analog console...).

anyone have any insight or ideas?
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 latency with Antelope Orion 32

This may not help, but from what I've seen on Gearslutz, it seems the best solution right now for this is to go MADI out from it into some kind of interface that recieves MADI (like the RME MADIface, etc.).

Then that unit is your interface and handles all that, and the Orion just functions as a converter.

You might be able to do the same thing using Adat out, into an RME Raydat, etc., if you're not going above 48k.

It still might be the same or cheaper than a console.

Basically it's a way to avoid using the Orion's drivers until more bugs have been worked out.

These are PCIe based solutions, but you can use them in a Thunderbolt chassis if needed.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59 AM

I should mention that the buffer sizes I mentioned were all at 24/44.1 but I also tried it at 24/96 and it was the same. I say this because the latency should be lower at 96Khz...

and yeah, I've seen the MADI to PCIe adapters mentioned too - specifically the RME but I'm not ready to drop another $1500. I'd probably be more inclined to get 16 channels of Lynx instead. I think they at least have a better mixer app and lower latency. SSL also has a MADI interface for a lot less but I've read it does not have the mixer apps - still if it has lower latency that solves one issue (but still ~$900).
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Was the purchase recent enough to return? I used the Orion for 2 days............2 days.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave