Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM

Default Advice on voiceover manipulation

Hello,

I'm seeking some advice on manipulating my voice, I've tried searching high and low for some answers which has lead me to asking for advice on this forum. I naturally have a deep voice however I want to manipulate it slightly therefore I can achieve a "movie-trailer" voice effect, it's hard to describe in words but I was wondering if anything could be performed in Pro Tools to achieve this, or even get close to it.

Here is a prime example of the voice effect I'm trying to achieve, as you can notice the grit and drive behind the voice. Emphasizing on the bass towards the end of the spoken words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VkZyJ2Sbd8

I'm currently using Pro Tools 9, if that is any help to you,

Many thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Advice on voiceover manipulation

It should be pretty simple, with 1 trick. Start with and EQ to hi-pass below 80Hz(just a starting point as the actual voice will dictate the real frequency), then lots of compression(maybe more than 1 compressor plugin). Now here's the "tricky" part. Add an AUX send(set to -0) and feed a new AUX track(mono for both). On the AUX track, pull the fader down and insert EQ III 1 band, select the hi-pass(low-cut) button and move the frequency up to around 3KHz(just a starting point, may go higher or lower). In the next insert, select SansAmp with a mild distortion preset. Now listen to the VO and bring in the AUX fader. The idea is that the upper harmonics will make the voice "pop". There is no magic "choose these settings" for this. You have to use your ears to find the blend that works for your voice. All this is with stock plugins(and maybe add a touch of ambience with a reverb plugin). The first 2 plugins you need to buy(IMHO) are a decent reverb and a Pultec EQ(even the lowly Bomb Factory will do and its cheap on the second hand market). A Pultec does low and hi EQ unlike most any other(and in a good way)

Having said all that, it really starts with the original voice, so use a good mic(maybe RE-20, SM7B or a good LDC).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Many thanks albee for your time and great advice! It's greatly appreciated, and I will give this a try without a doubt.

Many thanks
Old 08-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
It should be pretty simple, with 1 trick. Start with and EQ to hi-pass below 80Hz(just a starting point as the actual voice will dictate the real frequency), then lots of compression(maybe more than 1 compressor plugin). Now here's the "tricky" part. Add an AUX send(set to -0) and feed a new AUX track(mono for both). On the AUX track, pull the fader down and insert EQ III 1 band, select the hi-pass(low-cut) button and move the frequency up to around 3KHz(just a starting point, may go higher or lower). In the next insert, select SansAmp with a mild distortion preset. Now listen to the VO and bring in the AUX fader. The idea is that the upper harmonics will make the voice "pop". There is no magic "choose these settings" for this. You have to use your ears to find the blend that works for your voice. All this is with stock plugins(and maybe add a touch of ambience with a reverb plugin). The first 2 plugins you need to buy(IMHO) are a decent reverb and a Pultec EQ(even the lowly Bomb Factory will do and its cheap on the second hand market). A Pultec does low and hi EQ unlike most any other(and in a good way)

Having said all that, it really starts with the original voice, so use a good mic(maybe RE-20, SM7B or a good LDC).
Hi again, sorry to ask this but could you point me in the right direction to this "second hand market" referring to the plugins.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Used, as in eBay. If you don't already have an iLok, its time to buy one(and you may as well buy the newer iLok 2). Many 3rd party plugins require iLok for authorization. Check youtube for tutorials on using iLok.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-13-2013, 04:11 AM

Something not mentioned is the first thing in the chain and that is to get a mic like a lot of these announcers use and that's an EV RE20. Another good mic would be the Shure SM7-B. A good plugin for processing would be McDSP Futzbox.

I've actually seen Don LaFontaine speak on TV in interviews and he sounded like that in real life.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-13-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: added info