Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Sound Toys and McDSP Shame Shame Shame

McDSP wants $295.00 to upgrade my Massive Pack plug-ins to work in Leopard / 8 Core Intel.

Eventide charged me $50.00 (For 1 Plugin) Ok that is not bad I can live with that ...
Sonnox $30.00 Ok not bad either
Soundtoys wanted too much so I am not upgrading
BUT Digidesign, URS, Waves, Antares Free

Bye Bye Sound Toys and McDSP ...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Sound Toys and McDSP Shame Shame Shame

For me the SoundToys upgrade is $150 and that sucks but its way better than the $295 that McDSP wants. I'm gonna do the SoundToys update soon but McDSP will most likely never get my money. I think McDSP and Digi are seriously lucky nobody went after them for false advertising. As I've said many times before, Digi advertised the savings based on the retail value of the full plug-in versions which in some cases like McDSP, we didn't receive. I can afford $295 obviously because I have an HD system but trying to charge me for something I should have received in the first place is the quickest way to lose my business for good.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM

I am having a hard time understanding the Soundtoys upgrade comment. The download if free on their website for Leopard compatability as long as you own Version 3. If you have a later version, do you not think you should have to pay for an upgrade? 150.00 upgrade from a previous version for TDM is not bad considering the plugin's cost a grand.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM

Waves is free??? I have Diamond TDM and they want me to WUP for $200 going from 5.2.1 to 5.9.7.

McDSP doesn't charge me a penny. Yes I have full versions.
I think they are good guys so far.
The only problem with them, is that they are very obsessive about any screen shots of McDSP images appearing on eBay. (Out of topic...sorry).

Sonnox is great. But their asset transfer policy is illegal, either as Waves one. Sonnox produces very nice and professional plugins. But it is absolutely illegal NOT to allow you to sell!!!

SoundToys...I don't care about the toys

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but McDSP provides all upgrades to the plug-ins you own for free. The $295 upgrade price is if you want to add the 3 new plug-ins they just released, at least that was what it amounted to for me (I have the Emerald pack for TDM).

The SoundToys v3 upgrade added AU versions, so I thought that was reasonable price for the upgrade.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM

MAC = infinite upgrade , now and future ...

Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Sonnox is great. But their asset transfer policy is illegal, either as Waves one. Sonnox produces very nice and professional plugins. But it is absolutely illegal NOT to allow you to sell!!!
What you talking about? I have sold and transferred the license of some Sonnox (Sony at that time) plug-ins without problems. I contacted tech support, it was ok and there were no fees.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I have sold and transferred the license of some Sonnox (Sony at that time) plug-ins without problems. I contacted tech support, it was ok and there were no fees.
That was my assumption also.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Soundtoys wanted too much so I am not upgrading

Bye Bye Sound Toys and McDSP ...
I just checked my past email - SoundToys charged me $49 to upgrade.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
What you talking about? I have sold and transferred the license of some Sonnox (Sony at that time) plug-ins without problems. I contacted tech support, it was ok and there were no fees.
This has changed lately.

Now when you try to detach an iLok with Sonnox plugins, it goes into some kind of pending state. iLok asks for Sonnox if it's okay to detach the license key and if you don't email Sonnox yourself you can wait forever and a day for it to happen. And once you have succeeded in transferring that iLok onto another account, your new account still does not *own* the licenses, only administers them. If you want to transfer ownership to someone, it'll cost a fortune.