Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 is a SHAME for HD users!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
All of those can be obtained in a non-TDM setup now with the CPTK. Scrolling window is a basic option in 9 now, as well.
We don't get individual track input monitoring.. it's still global... (or I'm missing something)

EDIT... you do get individual track input monitoring with HD Native, not with PT9 with CPTK though.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
One cant help but wonder what that guy was starring at....
What he wanted.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclef101 View Post
Just curious, now that Pro Tools has opened up and I can buy into HD without the TDM hardware. What are the benefits besides 192 track counts, VCA mixing, more AUX busses, and higher sample rate to record and playback at? I really want to know what are some of the editing and automation functions that are different than just Pro Tools 9?
Just Pro Tools 9? You get non-CPTK2 enabling functionality.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
All of those can be obtained in a non-TDM setup now with the CPTK. Scrolling window is a basic option in 9 now, as well.
Yes, what CPTK 2 does not offer is Avid HD I/O's and peripheral support for video for instance.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Quick question...

You guys that are selling your cards for $1590, $1700.00, and seeing them "Go" for $1700.00 are talking about the Accel PCIe cards right?? NOT the Accel PCIe CORE CARDS Right??

I've bid on 8 Core cards in the last week, including today, all went for over $3k. anything in "Completed Items" are all $3999.00 there was ONE that went yesterday for $3199.00 with no cables, box, software, or documentation.

Am I looking in the wrong place for a PCIe CORE card for $1700.00 ?
As far as I'm concerned I was talking about Accel cards only, not Core cards. PCIe Core Cards are more expensive, that's right.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:28 PM

I have not read the whole thread, so please forgive me if I am restating the obvious. Those complaining about what Protools 9 now does clearly do not get it. People hire us for our ears and skills, not our rig. Don't ever think otherwise or you are sadly mistaken. Sure I have HD, but I would still go out and by the same. . . I would not have it any other way. You need the low-latency monitoring in order tos record a 30 input band live of the floor with cue mixes etc. . .

I have been asking for a non-hardware solution forever, which we now have I would be more pi$$ed of if I just purchased the stupid USB mbox micro thingy, than if I just purchased HD.

You can't really work without some kind a delay compensation at all levels, it is a must have at all levels. We now have it

All-in-all Avid has done the right thing. The next step I would like to see is a PCI Express Card with 2 x Digilink ports so that I can connect my MacbookPro to the Venue, or 2 of my 192 i/os for remote recording. . . then things are golden. Sell this to us HD 9 core card owners for next to nothing, and sell it to people that want it use it as their 'only' HD for a higher $.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:26 PM

In client based operations - it really is not about the tool. This is a highly evolved craft that benefits from decades of handed down experience and practice. Mag machines, 2" multitrack, protools.... just evolving tools - the real value for clients comes in the application of those tools.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:59 AM

My major gripe with Digidesign/ Avid, is that us Registered HD Accel owners should be "Grand fathered in" with a free upgrade to Protools 9

I say don't worry about people with either Protools 9 or whatever!! I have said for many years that "EVERYONE HAS PROTOOLS, BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS PROTOOLS!!" this is reminiscent of when ADATS became affordable & everyone started to buy them. Studio started cropping up everywhere! Bed Rooms, garages, apartments, etc!! But what I realized was that many of these people who bought Adats back then, & heck, Protools LE, 001 and claimed to be recording engineers, where not recording engineers!!
I've worked in many studios from NY, LA, & my own in Miami Florida. There are thousands of people making the claim of having a recording studio. But the one thing I rarely hear is how many of these so called engineers have a RESUME!!!

*What records have they worked on?
*How many years have they been recording?
*Is their studio Professionally ACOUSTICALLY treated?
*What is their outboard gear selection?
*Do they accept credit cards?
*Whats their refund policy?
*Do they have a legitimate business license?

These are a few of the things that make a studio a real studio, a real business.
I have has so many clients jump ship & come do business with me because the little fellow down the block with protools LE, some Nueman Mics & Automatic Room Correction Software, who is charging $25 per hour...their mixes don't sound good!!

I have Protools HD Accel 3 with an acoustically treated room by Ruseburger Designs & a bunch of toys to go with it. I don't worry about the "Claim Jumpers" who claim to have a recording studio.
It's your talents that makes YOU the engineer!! Protools is just a tool and anyone can buy tools.
Clients pay for my
*experience,
*Talents,
*my facility,
*my knowledge.

Software & plugins CAN'T REPLACE THOSE IDEALS
It's not the tools that make the mechanic, it's the person that makes the mechanic!
Miami FL

Last edited by lsd; 11-14-2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsd View Post
My major gripe with Digidesign/ Avid, is that us Registered HD Accel owners should be "Grand fathered in" with a free upgrade to Protools 9

I say don't worry about people with either Protools 9 or whatever!! I have said for many years that "EVERYONE HAS PROTOOLS, BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS PROTOOLS!!" this is reminiscent of when ADATS became affordable & everyone started to buy them. Studio started cropping up everywhere! Bed Rooms, garages, apartments, etc!! But what I realized was that many of these people who bought Adats back then, & heck, Protools LE, 001 and claimed to be recording engineers, where not recording engineers!!
I've worked in many studios from NY, LA, & my own in Miami Florida. There are thousands of people making the claim of having a recording studio. But the one thing I rarely hear is how many of these so called engineers have a RESUME!!!

*What records have they worked on?
*How many years have they been recording?
*Is their studio Professionally ACOUSTICALLY treated?
*What is their outboard gear selection?
*Do they accept credit cards?
*Whats their refund policy?
*Do they have a legitimate business license?

These are a few of the things that make a studio a real studio, a real business.
I have has so many clients jump ship & come do business with me because the little fellow down the block with protools LE, some Nueman Mics & Automatic Room Correction Software, who is charging $25 per hour...their mixes don't sound good!!

I have Protools HD Accel 3 with an acoustically treated room by Ruseburger Designs & a bunch of toys to go with it. I don't worry about the "Claim Jumpers" who claim to have a recording studio.
It's your talents that makes YOU the engineer!! Protools is just a tool and anyone can buy tools.
Clients pay for my
*experience,
*Talents,
*my facility,
*my knowledge.

It's not the tools that make the mechanic, it's the person that makes the mechanic!
So did you upgrade to HD9 yet?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsd View Post

I refrained from quoting your whole post as your last comment more or less constitutes that an engineer with CHOPS could ALSO set up an ADAT or LE rig at home and make GREAT music.

Why make such a long post with so many points only to totally contradict yourself with ONE last sentence.

PS - If all that matters is a resume and chops - why bicker about PT9 if, according to your own post, YOU for one - dont need it......
Unless of course your dont possess a resume along with audio-chops