Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Server Down

Today our DD server is not working, it fails with the TCP 80 and 443 in. But it seems the Digidesign server is also down (but not the DUC) I assume that to boot DD needs to contact Digidesign, hence if the Digi server is down DD won't boot. Is this correct? Naturally this is a problem for us as our server will not currently boot and we have work to do.
Simon L.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Server Down

What is worse is that there is a file for a session today on the server that I cannot retrieve because the server will not pass the network tests to finish the boot so that I can retrieve the file over the local network.
Arrgghh
Simon L.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM

Mine is locked up at TCP/80 also.
I didn't know it had to link with Digidesign to work???
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 PM

wow
that blows big time chunks

I have a client who needs a session sent to a major label tonight.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

The server maintenance has been completed and the servers are back online. I was not aware that Digidelivery owners would be impacted, or we would have notified you in advance.

Our apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 PM

Dear Bruce,
This does underscore the problem that our Digidelivery servers will not boot if there is a network problem with Digidesign. I suggest that we do work with the DD team to make the software able to at least boot if there is a problem like this in the future. When we rely on the hardware in our day to day business there has to be some sort of backup server that can take over the DD duties if there is a problem or the hardware can detect this problem and communicate the error to the user.
I spent 3 hours today trying to fault find our network at Fox as the error messages indicated a problem with the TCP ports (owing to the fact that this test requires Digidesign servers to be operating) so it was not until I tried to get to Digidesign.com and it was down that I put 2 and 2 together. Fortunately, the DD that we had on the server and I was going to download when I got to work, was non critical to our job and we could push that song till later in the session, but it does underscore a fundamental error with the DD server system.
Thanks for letting me know that the servers were back up. Our DD server has now booted fine and we are back in business,
best regards
Simon L.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Avid

As designed, operating DigiDelivery servers should not have been affected. However, DigiDelivery servers are unable to reboot during regularly scheduled maintenance periods, which usually occur once a year and last only a few minutes. We are usually notified when these periods will occur and can send notices to the system admins in advance. We're looking into why we were not notified this time.

As a side note, we do not recommend rebooting your server more than necessary. Power-cycling any server causes more wear-and-tear than leaving them on.

To echo Customer Support, thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Dear Gordon,
the reason I re-booted was because I was unable to receive a delivery, there was indeed a problem. Till that point the server had been up for months, but something occurred when the Digi servers went down (or it was a big coincidence) and I was unable to connect to the server on our local net so I re-booted the server, then there was the re-boot problem. I agree that this is the first time we have encountered this problem but it is nonetheless worrying.
Thanks for chiming in.
best regards
Simon L.