Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 06-10-2017, 03:50 AM

Default D-Command replacement

Hi all!

Question for the D-Command users here. When and if the time comes to replace your D-Command, what would replace it with? Seems like there is no current lateral move offered by Avid. S3 is clearly a step down and the S6 is an expensive step up.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 06-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Re: D-Command replacement

I am in the same boat here.
The s6 M10 is the natural upgrade path for d command users, but the lack of tft's or screens are why the upgrade to S6 m40 is the more desirable and more expensive.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
Hi all!

Question for the D-Command users here. When and if the time comes to replace your D-Command, what would replace it with? Seems like there is no current lateral move offered by Avid. S3 is clearly a step down and the S6 is an expensive step up.
Definitely the S6 M10. A 16 fader M10 is more expensive but roughly in the same ballpark as a 24 fader D-Command. An M40 with displays is massively more expensive. The displays look fantastic but personally I don't miss something I've never had! 16 faders sounds like a downgrade but the way VCA spill, Layouts and Track View session navigation on the touchscreen work is impressive. You might not even miss 8 faders. However, if you want the S6 to behave like a D-Command with dedicated EQ and Dynamic sections you may want to add two Knob Modules and use them in "Expand" mode. Unfortunately this would bump up the price quite some way beyond a 24 fader D-Command.

When I looked at moving from a C|24 to the S3 two years ago, I felt the S3 was a significant downgrade in many respects. I haven't followed how the S3 has developed since though.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:01 AM

Default D-Command replacement

Wonderful informative post Marsdy.

The problem I don't like about that upgrade path is Eucon....it's another level of software that has bugs and has to have Avid troubleshoot and fix.

That comment should read as "Eternal Subscription plan required".

Think about the simple request of the the velocity settings of the rotary encoders for the artist series surfaces

Digidesign Icons could be parked tomorrow and work great as is...i don't know if Eucon will ever that stable and bug free....or how long it will take to get there.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Wonderful informative post Marsdy.

The problem I don't like about that upgrade path is Eucon....it's another level of software that has bugs and has to have Avid troubleshoot and fix.

That comment should read as "Eternal Subscription plan required"

Digidesign Icons could be parked tomorrow and work great as is...i don't know if Eucon will ever that stable and bug free....or how long it will take to get there.
I honestly wouldn't worry about EUCON. S6 EUCON is a totally different beast to S3/Dock/Artist EUCON. They are in no way interchangeable, one won't work with the other. Any criticisms of S3/Dock/Artist EUCON simply don't apply to the S6.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Marsdy,
Does the S6 require its own yearly plan in addition to your PT plan? Or does your PT plan cover S6 updates?

thanks.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Marsdy,
Does the S6 require its own yearly plan in addition to your PT plan? Or does your PT plan cover S6 updates?

thanks.
It does require a yearly plan if you want software upgrades and it's not cheap. The MTM master module, (the one with the touchscreen,) is the brains of the system and costs £460 a year without tax. That includes a 24 hour swap out of a faulty module. You have to get the plan if you want software updates but it's not obligatory if you're happy with the software as is. I don't think there's a penalty for reinststing a lapsed plan.

A plan for a 24 fader fully loaded M10 is £1749 per year ex-tax including module swap out and the Xmon.

Overpriced IMO but that's Avid!

EDIT: Forgot to say - These prices are what I paid in the UK as of January this year.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
A plan for a 24 fader fully loaded M10 is £1749 per year ex-tax including module swap out and the Xmon.
Wow!!

Thanks for the detailed response.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
It does require a yearly plan if you want software upgrades and it's not cheap. The MTM master module, (the one with the touchscreen,) is the brains of the system and costs £460 a year without tax. That includes a 24 hour swap out of a faulty module. You have to get the plan if you want software updates but it's not obligatory if you're happy with the software as is. I don't think there's a penalty for reinststing a lapsed plan.

Overpriced IMO but that's Avid!

EDIT: Forgot to say - These prices are what I paid in the UK as of January this year.
OK. This right here is why I'll never get one. Together with the PT HD plan, that's 2k a year just to get software bug fixes, updates and tech support. Ridiculous.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 06-14-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
If you made me pick, I suppose it would be this, but with my trackball: - "S3 with Dock"
This is the reason the S3 with the dock would have to be my choice....I can't play around with those big boys.....too much $$$

Quote:
A plan for a 24 fader fully loaded M10 is £1749 per year ex-tax //Overpriced IMO but that's Avid!
The S3/Dock combo look great, but do they provide the same level of integration as the ICON's? Don't believe so from everything I have seen. Really nice integration and workflow but I don't think it's a lateral move from the Icon's
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.