Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 AM

Default Can't Solo Tracks When Bussed To Aux Sends / Solo Safe is armed (Greyed Out)

(just to get it out of the way my computer specs are at the bottom of this post)

Alright guys I need some major help! I am mixing a song and when I solo tracks I can't hear anything! Here is my workflow:

I created a bunch of AUX tracks, using them as Sub Mixes going to a final Mix Bus. My chain, for example is as follows:

-Drum audio tracks all outputting to stereo bus labeled "Drums", bass audio tracks outputting to stereo bus labeled "Bass", etc. (continues for guitar, keys, etc)

-Vocal audio tracks all outputting to stereo bus labeled "Vocals"

-Stereo Aux tracks inputting busses "Drums", "Bass", "Guitar", "Piano", etc. are all outputting bus "Instruments". Solo safe is greyed out on all these Aux tracks.

-Stereo Aux track inputting bus "Instruments" is outputting to bus "Mix Bus". Solo safe is greyed out.

-Stereo Aux track inputting bus "Vocals" is outputting to bus "Mix Bus". Solo safe is greyed out.

If you are following me so far, I have bussed all my audio tracks to generic drums, bass, guitar, etc. aux subgroups, then bussed those aux subgroups to an aux that contains all the instruments. I also have one aux for all the vocals. This means that I am feeding my Mix Bus just instruments, vocals, and effect sends. All of these aux tracks are greyed out solo safe.

My mix bus outputs to an audio track where I print the mixes. I have left the input monitoring green button on (I'm using HDX PT11 so LE won't show this).

When I play the song everything plays as it is supposed to. I hear the whole song the same as if I just outputted every audio track to the mains like a default Pro Tools session would be, which tells me that my routing is correct and that all my Aux bus input and outputs are correct.

My problem is this:

Lets say I want to solo and mix just the snare drum. I hit the solo button on the snare track. Theoretically with solo safe armed and greyed out throughout the entire aux chain, it will go through my chain and output just the soloed snare. But here is the deal: NO SOUND COMES OUT!

Is this a bug or am I just missing something so simple? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Adrian

My setup:

-MacBook Pro 15” Retina, Mac OS version 10.9.2, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram, 1TB internal flash HD
-Sonnet Echo Express Thunderbolt 2 Chassis
-Pro Tools version 11.2, HDX Card connected to HD I/O
-Pegasus J2 Thunderbolt SSD HD for session data
-WD MyBook USB 3 HD for VI Samples
-Other devices connected include: Apple Keyboard, Trackpad, MAudio Uno Midi->USB, MAudio AxiomPro 49, and my iLok 2, all connected thru a USB multi port hub.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Can't Solo Tracks When Bussed To Aux Sends / Solo Safe is armed (Greyed Out)

Prob'ly missing something simple. Post a clean session (no audio, no plugs) and we'll have a look.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 11-19-2014, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Can't Solo Tracks When Bussed To Aux Sends / Solo Safe is armed (Greyed Out)

Thanks Rich, here is the session I am working on without Plugins or audio files, just the routing. The session has a LOT of tracks, but it's all color coded and labeled and routed properly from what I can tell... It's most likely something so simple and I'm just missing it due to the amount of things I have to keep track of in this mix.

Here is the WeTransfer download link for the session. It's for Pro Tools 11. The link will expire in like a week or so, so if the link doesn't work after that and you need a download link I'll try and redo the download link.

WeTransfer Download Link:
http://we.tl/NXHgP84ASf

Thanks man!
-Adrian
Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 PM

A couple things:
Your "All Gtr" aux isn't solo isolated.
More importantly; your two destination tracks "Track Print" and "Loud Print" aren't solo isolated.

best
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 11-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Figured it out... I went to bed at 8am when I posted this. Clearly I was not in a good headspace due to lack of sleep.

After just waking up I started my session and realized that my two audio tracks that I use to print the mix bus ended up not being solo-safed, even though all my aux tracks were. I think last night I just assumed that since input monitoring was enabled on the print tracks (the green "I" button) that I would hear audio. It doesn't help that the session I'm working with is 100+ tracks... Lots to keep track of.

Lesson learned: Don't mix at 8am if you haven't slept. Ever.

Unless it's due tomorrow (it's not, but we've all been there where sleep isn't an option haha).
Old 11-19-2014, 05:09 PM

Just saw your reply Rich! Thanks so much, I believe we figured it out at the same time. Thanks again for looking out for a fellow engineer!