Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 11:36 PM

Default can i use my v-drums with strike?

how compatible is strike with roland v-drums ?

i have a td-12s v-drums set and wondered will i be able to play strike with it.

i has some vriable controllers like the v-11 hi hat and some 3 zone triggering.

can strike handle the midi input from a v-drum set and if not can you make a template for it in the future ?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 AM
AIR Music Technology

Default Re: can i use my v-drums with strike?

Hi music-project,

yes you can use your V-drums. You can trigger single Strike Instruments via MIDI input on MIDI channel 2.

Best,

Wolfram K
Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 PM

on my v-drums the transition from closed hi-hat to open hi-hat is smooth and goes thrugh 4 or 5 diffarent "samples" with the control all done with the hi-hat pedal vh-11.

how will strike hi-hat react to a continues trigger like the vh-11.

will the samples switch smoothly from closed to open ?

have you guys tested strike with v-drums and vh-11/12 ?

what should i expect ?

it is very important to me to know before i buy strike.

thank you
Old 11-20-2006, 06:27 PM

Wolfram,

It would be appreciated if you could elaborate on the setup for a V kit.

Ross
Old 11-24-2006, 08:42 PM

please,

give us some more information about how to integrate v-drums with strike and in detail how to overcome the vh-11/12 continues controller of hi-hat samples in strike.

is there a template midi map vor v-drums in strike?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 AM
AIR Music Technology

Hi everybody,

I'd like to straighten out some things about Strike and the use of MIDI controllers like V-Drums:

1) In the first line Strike is not a drum sampler, drum module, or drum synth. Strike is an "intelligent" virtual instrument, that has been designed to play along to any Pro Tools session like a real drummer. The main intention of Strike is to deliver realistic drumming behavior and - even more important - the "tweakability" of all parameters which influence the authenticity of a drum performance. Strike is about triggering, editing, and customizing Patterns (Intros,Verses,Bridges,Fills,Choruses,Endings) - mainly.

2) As an add on we implemented the possibility to play single Strike Instruments - quite similar to what you do with a drum sampler. This is intended to easily add Instrument hits in the every day workflow - you trigger the desired Patterns and "throw in" ,for example, additional Crash cymbal hits.
Some people even use this feature to play whole drum tracks with Strike in Kit mode (usually using a MIDI keyboard - search the plug-in guide for "Kit mode")- and it works quite well. This is what you could do using MIDI and V-Drums, but Strike is not intended or optimized for this kind of use.

3) Strike does not support special MIDI drum controllers - sadly there are no templates or presets for these types of modules (apart from M-Audio keyboard support using the M-Audio "Enigma" software). I beg your pardon, and hope you understand that we can not elaborate solutions for individual setups in this forum.

4) Maybe some experienced Strike, MIDI, V-Drums user could find out the best setup and post his experiences here?

Best Regards,

Wolfram K
Old 11-29-2006, 08:31 PM

Hey Wolfy, I think your're missing a trick with this one.

In my store (Sound Control in Oxford St London) we sell many, many electronic kits and a big selling point, especially for the lower-end kits, is that you can plug into a DAW via MIDI and control some drum software to improve the sounds.

Traditionally, BFD was the major app for this, but Strike has made a serious impression on everyone and my colleagues and customers are all really impressed with it's functions and sounds. It would be a real boon to be able to say that you could simply plug in a kit to your PT rig and play away.

I don't think that Digi should paint themselves into a corner saying what Strike 'is and isn't'. It's a fantastic drum VI that seems to incorporate the best of what programs like BFD and GrooveAgent have to offer - why limit it's abilities or concentrate on only one area of it's application when you could simply sell the best acoustic drum plugin on the market?

Sonny