Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM

Default drive going to sleep on its own?

I am posting here so that hopefully someone can shed some light into this issue. I bought 2 new G tech drives (2T each) and are formatted Mac OSX extended Journaled. My problem is that these 2 drives go to sleep on their own but my computer in preferences in set to never go to sleep. If I leave the computer for about 5 minutes and then access Pro_toos, I get the beach ball while the drive wakes up! . I have many other drives (like 20 other drives at least but they are not all pluged in at once, La Cie as well a older Gtech, and none of these other drives go to sleep when they are not supposed to. I e-mailed Gtech but no answer to correct the problem.

I am Snow Leopard, 14 gigs Ram, Firewire 800, audio and video drive separate, system drive separate.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 AM

Default Re: drive going to sleep on its own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
I am posting here so that hopefully someone can shed some light into this issue. I bought 2 new G tech drives (2T each) and are formatted Mac OSX extended Journaled. My problem is that these 2 drives go to sleep on their own but my computer in preferences in set to never go to sleep. If I leave the computer for about 5 minutes and then access Pro_toos, I get the beach ball while the drive wakes up! . I have many other drives (like 20 other drives at least but they are not all pluged in at once, La Cie as well a older Gtech, and none of these other drives go to sleep when they are not supposed to. I e-mailed Gtech but no answer to correct the problem.

I am Snow Leopard, 14 gigs Ram, Firewire 800, audio and video drive separate, system drive separate.
If they are using green drives there may not be a solution. Hopefully you will hear back that that is not the case.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I am posting here so that hopefully someone can shed some light into this issue.....
I had similar problems with 2 of these same drives - made for an absolutely miserable large tracking date; this was on the rig over at Capitol, and confirmed later on my own rig. Both drives throwing DAE errors if they sat idle for more than a few minutes. My solution? Get rid of the drives - I won't buy them again...

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
I had similar problems with 2 of these same drives - made for an absolutely miserable large tracking date; this was on the rig over at Capitol, and confirmed later on my own rig. Both drives throwing DAE errors if they sat idle for more than a few minutes. My solution? Get rid of the drives - I won't buy them again...

best,
rich

Well, I am never buying these drives again either. I always need massive storage, so I'll use these drives as storage and pick up a couple of La Cies (don't really like LaCie's but at least they don't nap on the job)
Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM

Default drive going to sleep on its own?

They're most likely greens.

Darryl Ramm
Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:

You are not really being specific enough for people to help you.

What exact model drives?

Connected how? Firewire 800 (seems that way, but please confirm), USB2, USB3? To what exact Mac

Have you disabled sleep on the drives? Is the "Put drive to sleep wherever possible" checkbox checked? What are all the Power Saving settings?

Darryl
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You are not really being specific enough for people to help you.

What exact model drives?

Connected how? Firewire 800 (seems that way, but please confirm), USB2, USB3? To what exact Mac

Have you disabled sleep on the drives? Is the "Put drive to sleep wherever possible" checkbox checked? What are all the Power Saving settings?

Darryl
Firewire 800, power setting set up according to what Pro-Tools requires from the istalation manual (never go to sleep, no spotlight, no time machine etc), Mac 8 core Snow Leopard. Audio, Video, and systems drive are all different. I can have several external Lacies "and" and older Gtech and they don't go to sleep, while these new G-techs go to sleep. By the way, these drives can cause horrendous assertion errors not only on the actual drive but seems that the entire firewire chain can get bogged down if these drives sleep or wake up (often Pro-tools crashes when this happens) and it also makes the entire connectivity of the machine unstable. All my other older G drives do not ever go to sleep (I just counted them I own 7 other G-Drives and many LaCies but they are smaller capacity 1 tera each).

Models:G-Drive 2 Tera, 7200 rpm, 0G02529. Nowhere in the box do they say anything about being green. There are some icons like the recycle logo (but I think that is for the box and the aluminum enclosure) and there is a ROHS compliant logo (I don't know what that means), it is also FC and CE.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundcontrol View Post
They're most likely greens.
"Greens" being what? There's nothing in G-Tech's specs about 'green-ness'. Nor do the drives have any setup software which would allow one to control power-down/sleep behavior.

Would love to know more about this problem.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 PM

I haven't looked at all of the "green" drives that are out there, but...

The ones I have looked at are implementing their "green" features in firmware, which is not user-configurable and is not designed to be "flashed".

So, if you bought a "green" drive you're pretty much stuck with it...it's not going to perform properly for an audio drive, but it will be fine for use as a backup drive...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Firewire 800, power setting set up according to what Pro-Tools requires from the istalation manual (never go to sleep, no spotlight, no time machine etc), Mac 8 core Snow Leopard. Audio, Video, and systems drive are all different. I can have several external Lacies "and" and older Gtech and they don't go to sleep, while these new G-techs go to sleep. By the way, these drives can cause horrendous assertion errors not only on the actual drive but seems that the entire firewire chain can get bogged down if these drives sleep or wake up (often Pro-tools crashes when this happens) and it also makes the entire connectivity of the machine unstable. All my other older G drives do not ever go to sleep (I just counted them I own 7 other G-Drives and many LaCies but they are smaller capacity 1 tera each).

Models:G-Drive 2 Tera, 7200 rpm, 0G02529. Nowhere in the box do they say anything about being green. There are some icons like the recycle logo (but I think that is for the box and the aluminum enclosure) and there is a ROHS compliant logo (I don't know what that means), it is also FC and CE.
Thanks, sounds more and more like G-technology/Hitachi screwed up here. It would be interesting to know exactly what the Hitachi drive used these units are. And I'd be returning these units to the retailer asap.

Hitachi green drives are marketed under their "CoolSpin" technology labels. They often claim no specific RPM, or claim 5,400 rpm, but who knows, this would not be the first time green drives might over-claim rpm specs. And its possible that the power management/issues are external firmware issues, not specific to the drive.

Western Digital acquired HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, which had previously acquired IBM's storage products) last year. Unfortuantely WD green drives are notorious for causing problems with Pro Tools. These green technologies are all about reducing costs for drives and (often embedded) systems that use them while these vendors get hammered by flash storage. I hope that HGST/WD do not destroy the otherwise good name that G-technology have build as providers of media drives for video and audio applications.

Darryl