Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Default Tired of paying Avid upgrade for features already other DAW,s

I have been a PT user for a few years. I have had to pay thru the nose for features that other DAW,s have had for years. I paid $500.00 for Digi Translator. Now PT9 has it. I had to upgrade to PT 9 to be able to use other interfaces. Now PT 10 is $300 for new features that have been available to other DAW,s again for years. I also use Digital Performer and it has all the new features that PT 10 has. Avid has been slowly adding these things that DP, Logic and Cubase have had for a long time and we have to pay for these every time. One thing I am still waiting for is Bounce off line with PT ! For long time users like me, should be a better upgrade price. Enough Avid!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Tired of paying Avid upgrade for features already other DAW,s

Money speaks louder than words so I stopped at v8. I refuse to give in to their greed. In a time when the economy is in the toilet they have lost sight of reality. Sad.
Oh well, PT8 & Reaper is a great combo. The thing is, PT8 is definitely not going to change but Reaper improves daily and may fill my needs completely soon enough.
Avid's loss.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 AM

You have 2 choices do or don't. Cheese and Whine I tell you
Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 AM

I've stopped at 9.0.3.

If the upgrade was 100 bucks, I would have considered it.
Even though I'm not really enticed by the new features, I would have done it.

Mainly because I'm not so sure that there will even be a Protools 11.
I'll stay in a holding pattern until the dust settles.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
You have 2 choices do or don't. Cheese and Whine I tell you
But when you pick "do", and are prevented because of unrealistic costs and future obsolete hardware, that completely changes the simplistic "either/or" choice. Every upgrade over the years usually fell into the $50-$200 area or so, thus that's what the end user roughly expects to pay. PT 10 was announced awhile back and many users at that point prepared to pay the usual $100-$200. When they announced that it's 10x the normal amount upon release, along with end of life announcements on hardware, another moment in audio history was created with a protest of the end users never seen before.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 AM

It's not all about features. There's the overwhelming acceptance as a common platform in 99% of studios. You might not like it, but they feel they can charge for it. It took them years of being the platform that could do what all the other platforms couldn't do for them to get to this place.

Look at your choices--
Logic
Live
Reaper
Cubendo
Studio One (looking cool)
Digi Performer (remember them?)
Tracktion (just kidding)
Metro!

I'm not going into details, but for me it comes down to what environment I want to mix in. What's my final destination. That would be ProTools. Consideration 2 is yes I could dick around in a different DAW that had a bunch of cool bells and whistles, but for me, as I work, I want to periodically make some mix moves so I know where things are headed. And I don't want to do that twice, once in the midi-playland, and once in ProTools (because I'm definitely going to mix in ProTools). So it's a trade-off in functionality that I learn to work around. It works in my environment. Up until recently no other super-native program like Logic or Reaper would even let you pan the 2 sides of a stereo track separately. (Only Cubendo, then finally with the last release Reaper). So for the many years leading up to that point, PT was the only serious platform if you want to talk about mixing. So that was something very basic PT had that most other DAW's did not.

So the other thing PT has for that reason is a whole slew of guys who have a deep comfort zone mixing in PT. This is something else they can charge for. You could use the words "over a barrel" here, but the fact is you could just keep using whatever was working for you and concentrate on your songwriting or your mic technique and you can keep moving forward in your life. Setting up a new workflow and going through a learning curve will also set you back financially in a myriad hidden ways, so unless you want to reinvent your personal wheel every time you're unhappy about something as ultimately trivial as a software revision, I'd say keep it light and keep working. Wait a month before doing anything. Let it brew and you'll figure it out.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM

To be honest, I've never tried a daw that does things better than pro tools. I agree in many aspects it is just catching up, but there are many things that pro tools does so well that the competition can only dream about being so good. Really! Don't you think that there is some serious reason why most of the pros still on pro tools? I mean there are countless number of talented, clever pros out there. If some other daw would be really, I mean REALLY better, than the industry would choose that.

I've seen many other daw with some so called revolutionary features, but all in all, they failed. One or two great features does not make a daw industry standard.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
If some other daw would be really, I mean REALLY better, than the industry would choose that.
Unlikely in my opinion. Digidesign had the lead and got their foot in the door first. It is now thoroughly embedded in our audio society and has been for a good solid decade. It would be quite the costly expense to change over to anything, regardless if it was better or not. The current industry may choose the better DAW, but the reality of the expense to transition over would prevent this. Most of the big major studios in my part of the world will not be moving to PT 10 and definitely not PT 11. They simply cant afford it. Unfortunately, people seem to think they can...like Avid.

Good to see you around again tamas. Looks like this newest event in audio history has pulled a lot of people out of hiding.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-29-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Unlikely in my opinion. Digidesign had the lead and got their foot in the door first. It is now thoroughly embedded in our audio society and has been for a good solid decade. It would be quite the costly expense to change over to anything, regardless if it was better or not. The current industry may choose the better DAW, but the reality of the expense to transition over would prevent this. Most of the big major studios in my part of the world will not be moving to PT 10 and definitely not PT 11. They simply cant afford it. Unfortunately, people seem to think they can...like Avid.

Good to see you around again tamas. Looks like this newest event in audio history has pulled a lot of people out of hiding.

Shane
You're probably right, but still I don't see any daw which is really, clearly better than pt.

It never cease to amaze me how many non-pro tools user think that each and every pro tools user is dumb. Maybe it is just me, but I don't get their logic (pun intended) behind it.