Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2002, 10:21 AM

Default cd duplication

what do you do if you only need a limited amount of cd's(50-200) (NOT cd-r's) for a reasonable price $1-2 each. no labeling or packaging needed- just the non-graphic disc with audio on it. (i can handle the other details, it's just the real cd's(not cd-r's) that i'm stumped about.)
Old 03-09-2002, 09:50 AM

Default Re: cd duplication

What's wrong with cdr's? I can run ya 50-100 with full color on cd printing for 2.25 each. That includes jewel case. If you run 100-200, I can get them done for around 1.85 each.
Not bad for short runs.

Brian Senn
Legend Studios
[email protected]
Old 03-09-2002, 10:41 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fuzzy:
What's wrong with cdr's? I can run ya 50-100 with full color on cd printing for 2.25 each. That includes jewel case. If you run 100-200, I can get them done for around 1.85 each.
Not bad for short runs.

Brian Senn
Legend Studios
[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can't sell cd-r's in stores. maybe some stores, but...
cd-r's aren't as reliable and can't be guaranteed to work. whereas real cd's, with extremely rare exceptions, will work. they're the real deal, and are respected as such. anyone can make a cd-r.
i understand that the set-up cost of real cd's is the major problem of getting a decent price on small orders. i figured i'd ask the question anyways in case there's been any developments, or in case there are any clever ways to go about getting small orders for less money.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2002, 01:21 PM

ok, assuming less than 500 cd's is still imposible within reason$, what are some of the cheapest, yet still reliable, ways (or places) to have 500 cd's made(bare audio cd's- no graphics or packaging.)
Old 03-10-2002, 05:18 PM

Felix,

I have a lot of clients selling cdr's in stores. The problem I've seen with cdr's is people try to copy on cheep ones and then wonder why they don't always work. If you stick with a good brand like Mitsui of HHB you don't have the problems. If they write and verify ok, they're ok.

It's up to you, but if the choice was between cdr's or cutting an extra 300 so I could have cd's, I'll take cdr's.

Brian Senn
Legend Studios
Old 03-10-2002, 05:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Fuzzy:
Felix,

I have a lot of clients selling cdr's in stores. The problem I've seen with cdr's is people try to copy on cheep ones and then wonder why they don't always work. If you stick with a good brand like Mitsui of HHB you don't have the problems. If they write and verify ok, they're ok.

It's up to you, but if the choice was between cdr's or cutting an extra 300 so I could have cd's, I'll take cdr's.

Brian Senn
Legend Studios
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, maybe i'm wrong about the stores. that's good to know.
anyone else have comments on this.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:57 AM

We started off our record label selling CD-Rs and had no problems selling them in record shops. As Fuzzy says the main thing is to only use high quality CD-R blanks.

The other good thing to do is to print directly onto the CD-Rs rather than use stick on labels, then many people can't tell the difference between these and factory made CDs.

Many of my clients now buy CD-Rs duplicated by us with no problems.

We use TDK ink-jet printer compatable CD-R blanks, and they can look great. I have not had any returned as defective for a very long time.

Regards

Bill.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:58 AM

We started off our record label selling CD-Rs and had no problems selling them in record shops. As Fuzzy says the main thing is to only use high quality CD-R blanks.

The other good thing to do is to print directly onto the CD-Rs rather than use stick on labels, then many people can't tell the difference between these and factory made CDs.

Many of my clients now buy CD-Rs duplicated by us with no problems.

We use TDK ink-jet printer compatable CD-R blanks, and they can look great. I have not had any returned as defective for a very long time.

Regards

Bill.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:39 AM

i've learned that making CD-R's is 'duplication', while cd's is 'replication'.
i've heard so far of an order of 350 for $700 including 2 color graphics.

as for cd-r's, i didn't realize that they are as valid and reliable as you say. i've heard of how on-disc-printing looks legimate.
thanks for the info! i'm quite glad i was mistaken.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2002, 09:58 AM

This place has good prices. You can get a quote online.

http://www.cdman.com