Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 AM

Default External hard drive for backup of Mac & PC files

I am currently using MBox Pro, Pro Tools 8 on a Macbook Pro laptop. Until this purchase I had never used a Mac computer, so all of my other software programs and files are in Windows. I will continue to use the Windows side through Bootcamp for most all of my other applications. I'd like to find an external hard drive of around 1 TB for backing up both my Mac recordings and Windows documents.

I already use a Glyph external HD for recording. As a stop gap I'm copying files from the Glyph to my Mac hard drive.

Is it possible to partition the drive to accept both Mac and Windows files? I've found that the Seagate external HD I have now doesn't recognize the Mac files since it is formatted as NTFS.

Are there any external HDs you recommend for this situation? I was thinking that it would be nice to have it running at 7200 RPM with a firewire connection for transfer speed and in case my Glyph bombed out on me, but that's not critical.

Firewired
Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Default Re: External hard drive for backup of Mac & PC files

If you use MacDrive you can save and access PC files to Mac formatted drives.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 AM

The only drawback I've seen with MacDrive is that it can't handle files over 4GB. In that sense, in windows, your drive will act more like a FAT32 drive than NTFS. On the plus side, though, I never have problems with illegal characters in file names using MacDrive whereas I've had problems using FAT32 formated drives.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info on MacDrive. Since I want to access files from Mac to PC rather than PC to Mac this won't work for me. So now I'm looking for a good, reliable external hard drive to back up my recording files from my Macbook Pro laptop. I'd like to find one with at least Firewire connection with around 1 TB of space.

My research hasn't come up with any external hard drive that seems very reliable. This is the hard drive I have been considering. It was mentioned on another post in this forum - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+...tern%20digital

There doesn't appear to be any reviews on it anywhere. The closest I can find is the 1.0 TB version on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...rBy=addOneStar. There are as many one-star reviews as there are five!

Does anyone out there have any have any good or bad experiences on external hard drives used as a backup for Mac files?