Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Just switched over to SSL MADI - Affordable solution for more inputs!

I won a surplus auction and got a DDA D Series 32 channel console with 2 power supplies for $130 from the state of Massachusetts.

Since I was using an HD OMNI and a 192 with a couple ADA-8200s I needed more inputs.

I thought about trying to find a used HD interface but decided on buying a couple 192 analogs to fit more in my budget.

I went to Guitar Center and found a used SSL Alpha Link MADI on clearance for $900. It had never been sold and didn't come with the box or the manual but they did agree to give me 24 hours on it even though it was a final sale piece. I put it on hold and found an SSL Alpha MADI box on eBay for $200. I picked this up quickly.

Got the SSL MADI PT interface and hooked it up to my 192s legacy port and ran a word clock cable into it from the Omni and then set it up in PT Ultimate.

Was super simple and all is working well.

This 64 channel setup only costed me $1200 and it's working and sounding great. If anyone has been skeptical on these with Ultimate I can tell you it works great.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 09-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Just switched over to SSL MADI - Affordable solution for more inputs!

Good luck on your new setup @noah330.
Sounds like you also had fun making these change
Plugins: McDSP, Sonnox, Waves, Brainworx, IK, UAD
Instagram
YouTube
Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Just switched over to SSL MADI - Affordable solution for more inputs!

We've been running two of the SSL Delta-Link boxes for almost 10-years. The Delta-Link takes 64-channels of MADI and converts it to Avid DigiLink so there's no need for extra Avid hardware to get from our SSL console into our HDX2 system.

We've got 128-channels of MADI from our SSL C200 console into a MacPro Tower with 2-HDX cards for 128-IO to ProTools. Works GREAT!

We also found an SSL MADI-X8 router which connects between our console, 128-IO to ProTools HDX, 128-IO to 2-JoeCo MADI recorders and a Focusrite Dante-to-MADI convertor with 64-channels. All of this is in an HD Remote Video truck and gives us GREAT flexibility for anything we may come across.

All this to say... you got a GREAT bargain!!