How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Recall Reason song/rack when Rewired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
But that horizontal fader IS the mixer fader.
It is? Again - lack of documentation on Reason's part. It's not referred to as the mixer fader in the gui.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It is? Again - lack of documentation on Reason's part. It's not referred to as the mixer fader in the gui.

If you move the horizontal fader, the mixer will move also. It is just a duplicate of it.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
If you move the horizontal fader, the mixer will move also. It is just a duplicate of it.
Understood but not documented. Especially for someone like me who doesn't look at the mixer - I keep it collapsed. As a matter of fact chasing this issue is the first time I've ever opened it since I got R8. Or really make use of it either. Yeah I know it has what's supposed to be a decent SSL emulation but I have the Plugin Alliance/Brainworx SSL branded E and G emulations to use inside PT.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Understood but not documented. Especially for someone like me who doesn't look at the mixer - I keep it collapsed. As a matter of fact chasing this issue is the first time I've ever opened it since I got R8. Or really make use of it either. Yeah I know it has what's supposed to be a decent SSL emulation but I have the Plugin Alliance/Brainworx SSL branded E and G emulations to use inside PT.

If I might suggest, you might reconsider that. I find there's a lot of good sound shaping you can do with the SSL-like controls on each mixer channel. If nothing else, it can provide some nice little final tweaks before you commit a track to audio, and its not that hard to use. Sometimes I might only add a bit of gain at the top, or just roll off a bit of low end with the EQ, or a touch of compression. Just a thought.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
If I might suggest, you might reconsider that. I find there's a lot of good sound shaping you can do with the SSL-like controls on each mixer channel. If nothing else, it can provide some nice little final tweaks before you commit a track to audio, and its not that hard to use. Sometimes I might only add a bit of gain at the top, or just roll off a bit of low end with the EQ, or a touch of compression. Just a thought.
Understood but I'd rather be able to make changes after commiting to audio. It's the reason why I record audio without plugins so I can adjust as I mix.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Understood but I'd rather be able to make changes after commiting to audio. It's the reason why I record audio without plugins so I can adjust as I mix.

Right, we all do that. What I'm saying those additional SLL emulations can help design the sound overall. I think of it this way. If I had a live player in the studio...a bass player, say...what might I use on the mixer control console before sending the audio from the bass to record? Its not all that unusual to tweak a bit before laying down the actual audio. Well, in the virtual world, my VI is my "bass player". So, if I can use something on the console to get a cleaner audio track (a bit of eq or compression), why not?

Old 09-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Right, we all do that. What I'm saying those additional SLL emulations can help design the sound overall. I think of it this way. If I had a live player in the studio...a bass player, say...what might I use on the mixer control console before sending the audio from the bass to record? Its not all that unusual to tweak a bit before laying down the actual audio. Well, in the virtual world, my VI is my "bass player". So, if I can use something on the console to get a cleaner audio track (a bit of eq or compression), why not?
This is where you and I differ on the way we work. I'd rather have a clean track recorded to make things fit better in the mix. Here's a recent example: I was doing a cover of Rush's Limelight. I recorded Alex's guitar parts clean as I wasn't sure what amp sound would work. I split my guitar with one path going to my 11 Rack acting as an interface for PT and the other path going to my Marshall DSL401 with a couple of different overdrive/distortion pedals in front acting as a live monitor (no latency). I first tried the ENGL530 emulation in Amplitube 4 on the 4 guitar tracks I laid down. Listening to the mix over the span of a couple of weeks it started to sound clogged and the guitars getting lost. I then switched over to the ENGL VS646 emulation from Plugin Alliance and that really opened up the sound.

The upshot is if I had committed the guitar sound on the way in to PT I would have had to re-record the parts. Now if I had a Hughes & Kettner Alex Lifeson Triamp that would have bee different

But we all work different and nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of bass when I play in a bass line with my Jazz Bass I'll use an LA2A compressor emulation with light compression on the way in from a di'd bass.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:

But we all work different and nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of bass when I play in a bass line with my Jazz Bass I'll use an LA2A compressor emulation with light compression on the way in from a di'd bass.

If we all worked the same, we'd probably all sound the same...

Old 09-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
If we all worked the same, we'd probably all sound the same...
Ewwwwww
Imagine everything coming out sounding like the cd version of Death Magnetic

Have a good weekend - storms headed this way and the East Coast is wondering what Hurricane Florence is going to do.

QAPLA!
Old 09-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Ewwwwww
Imagine everything coming out sounding like the cd version of Death Magnetic

Have a good weekend - storms headed this way and the East Coast is wondering what Hurricane Florence is going to do.

Stay dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk