Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Preamp, Instrument Mic, and Vocal Mic Suggesti

I think that you'll probably have to base your decision on your own budget, but as I mentioned above, I like the sound that I'm getting out of the Presonus unit. It's got tons of gain, individual -20 dB pad, and 48 VDC Phantom on each channel. The only thing I wish it had was a phase reversal switch. When I mix my drums, I have to flip the phase on the bottom snare track and the kick using the Invert Plugin.

Other than that, it's a kick-a** unit!

Happy hunting,
Jeff
Old 07-21-2006, 12:28 PM

I think that you'll probably have to base your decision on your own budget, but as I mentioned above, I like the sound that I'm getting out of the Presonus unit. It's got tons of gain, individual -20 dB pad, and 48 VDC Phantom on each channel. The only thing I wish it had was a phase reversal switch. When I mix my drums, I have to flip the phase on the bottom snare track and the kick using the Invert Plugin.

Other than that, it's a kick-a** unit!

Happy hunting,
Jeff
Old 07-27-2006, 02:15 PM

a little birdie (namely a Focusrite rep at last falls AES con.) told me that the pres in the Octopre Le are better then the regular octopre, but it doesnt have all the bells and whistles the the regular does. However, it does provide A/D AND D/A which comes in real handy when mixing
Old 07-28-2006, 08:48 AM

FWIW I've read that the AD converters in the Behringer use the same chipset/tech as the Digimax and Presonus and M-Audio converters. The thing with the Behringer is that the pre-amps are known to be really really crappy. So, as an AD converter, the Behringer is probably a really good deal.

If you're willing to dump $1500, you could get the Digimax LT, get one for $799 from this guy on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Hollywood-Pro-Audio

he includes extras with the purchase, and for that you can get a free decent mic. I've bought from him a few times and it's totally worth it.

With the spare cash ($800), get a couple nice preamps, like some RNPs or something.

The Digimax Preamps ARE better than the 002Rs, but not by much. You can run another preamps outs to the Digimax for A/D conversion, so if you've got say two RNPs, that's four channels, so you use two for overheads, one for kick one for snare and then the rest of the Digimax's pres for "less essential" drums.
002R/PTLE 7.3.1
Old 07-29-2006, 10:46 PM

Brilliant, thanks man! Although I have to be honest, I'm a bit confused as to the difference between AD converters and pre amps...I guess i understand that an AD converter converts analogue to digital, but I don't think Im getting my head around the benefits of both or either at the same time...Can someone run me through a quick lesson on both preamps and AD/DA converters?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 AM

I know quite a few people that use the ADA8000 and that includes me. While they are nothing spectacular, they get the job done and sound decently clean. I've had the unit for about a year and a half without any issues. I plan on upgrading eventually but it works for now.
http://www.pureshift.com
http://www.bsodmusic.com
Old 08-31-2006, 12:26 PM

I started out using the Digimax LT and it worked for what it was. Has a better clock (not by much) than the 002 and the pre's are clean. For drums, it was fine and nothing that the new latest and great plugs in Pro Tools can tweek. Heck, get a Digimax and a Yamaha Sibkick and you can replace any sample easily. It is my most expensive trigger for replacement. Seriously though the Digimax was easy to use and you can find them online for under 700 and then buy a few good mics. I presonally would stay away from the "B" word as far as gear goes. I think for what it sounds like you will be doing it should be fine.

Good luck,
Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-31-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Brilliant, thanks man! Although I have to be honest, I'm a bit confused as to the difference between AD converters and pre amps...I guess i understand that an AD converter converts analogue to digital, but I don't think Im getting my head around the benefits of both or either at the same time...Can someone run me through a quick lesson on both preamps and AD/DA converters?
Preamps raise the signal level of whatever is connected to it's input.

A/D converters turn the analog signal into 1's and 0's.

D/A converters turn the 1's and 0's into an analog signal.

Preamps like the Octopre, Digimax, Octane, and Badringer have built in A/D converters.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I'm assuming I'll get a lot of "IMO's", but what is best between:

* Presonus Digimax LT
* Focusrite Octopre (not LE) with digital card though
* M-Audio Octane

Or is it all opinion? Does one of them have better AD/DA converters, or a better pre?

They would be used for live recordings and for tracking drums.

Thanks,

~S.
I would recomend the Digimax LT over the Octopre because the Octopre does not have inserts on it. Which is really important when it's time to do vocals.

and is your budget 500-1,500 for the ADAT preamp then another 500-1500 for the mics your looking at? or is it 500-1500 for everthing?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:28 PM

I bought the Octane. Has inserts/phase reverse/2Channel DI and M/S.

I bought it for recording drums and for that it worked great.

Got pretty good reviews when it came out and has been flawless in the two years I've used it.

Sure thinking about a RNP these days. I have the RNC, it works great with the OCTANE

my 2 cents

B