Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 09:23 AM

Default Mixing levels on dialogue, effects & music in 5.1?

I have searched the DUC and find some answers. Still I need more advice from you folks....

I have created a full mix of dialogue, effects and music on a television drama, and since we do not yet transmit 5.1, I made the stereo mix my first priority. Now, I have started creating a 5.1 mix by adding more audio and adjusting levels. Here is my question:

- I really don't feel comfortable with my 5.1 mix so far. I understand that the dialogue should peak at -15 dbFs while effects and music may (theoretically) be mixed as high as possible (without 0 clipping). However, if I follow this rule, I think the dialogue is getting to weak compared to the effects and music. What is your experience?

- I will do the mixdown of my 5.1 tracks to the harddrive and then encode them to AC3 with A-Pack. Are there things I should be aware of before I do this, like setting levels on dialogue and effects/music differently or simply following the same rules as with mixing 5.1 for Dolby E conversion?

- Since I will later also encode the 5.1 mix to Dolby E (to store it on track 3 and 4 of the DigiBeta tape), I have set the order of my channelse to L, R, C, LFE, rL and rR, In that way, I may transfer my 5.1 mix via three AES/EBU channels from ProToolsHD to the Dolby hardware encoder. Anything I should be aware of in this process? Would love to hear from those of you who have experience with the Dolby encoder for 5.1 to Dolby E.

Thanks!

Helge K.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Mixing levels on dialogue, effects & music in 5.1?

^^^ What he said.