Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Quality Issue

I rate the MXL CR89 as much better than the NT1A(my own experience only). But maybe post a screen capture of your MIX window so we can see your levels and plugins, or maybe seek out a local Pro Tools engineer with years of experience and pay for an afternoon of tutoring

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-05-2016, 11:29 AM

If you don't have a really well isolated studio, you might get much better sounding results from dynamic mikes. The salesJerks won't tell you this...
Old 08-05-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantry Frank View Post
Thnks 4 ur reply i really appreciate ur input, but no matter if i put the gain n drive all the dwn on my preamp it still records above -12 dbfs i believe.
With a pad engaged? Then try moving back from the mic, performing quieter, engage a preamp pad, or put a in-line attenuator before or after the preamp, or use a less sensitive/dynamic mic.

Make sure you are connecting your preamp into a line (not mic or DI) input on the Mbox mini and the switches for that are set correctly. Not being able to turn down the level low makes me think you have this connected wrong.

Yes this may not be what is causing this exact problem, but start by making stuff easier for yourself and not trying to record too hot.

What output level are you running into the master fader when you bounce? try with and without plugins (e.g. compressors) on that bus.

How does the bounce sound when played back on the computer? In Pro Tools and other apps? What does it sound like with your earbuds connected to the computer?

What exact model earbuds are you using?

Make sure any eq or volume limiting or other silliness on the iPhone is turned off and make sure the earbuds you are using sound OK with other known good music.

Many lower-end earbuds, including the ones Apple provide with the iPhone, will sound like crap with loud music, or maybe any music.

If still having problems post audio samples that you think show the issue on Soundcloud or share on a file sharing service.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-05-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:02 PM

bet i appreciate your input, i was also debating if i should jus go wit a dynamic mic but every article or review ive read insist its better to just get a condenser mic
Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 PM

whn i engage the pad there is alot of background noise in the recorded track. also my mbox 2 mini only has one hook up which is labeled the line/mic and i have the button next to it pushed out which is also labeled line/mic. I hardly every peak or rec hot evn in the loudest parts my tracks stay in yellow and b4 i bounce my master fader only peaks at -3 dbfs. again thnk you for ur help in input i appreciate the time you took to respond.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:10 PM

im workin on a screen shot right now for you. thanks now im checkin out the mic you suggested and am now very interested between gettin tht or the rode. in the end it all depends how much i can save up b4 the upgrade. also do you have any opinion about the Presonus Tube Pre I use. Im also workin on getting a Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 tube to upgrade from my current tube installed.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:11 PM

whats the best recording chain to have when workin with hip hop vocals?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Pro Tools Flex.jpg
Old 08-05-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantry Frank View Post
whn i engage the pad there is alot of background noise in the recorded track. also my mbox 2 mini only has one hook up which is labeled the line/mic and i have the button next to it pushed out which is also labeled line/mic. I hardly every peak or rec hot evn in the loudest parts my tracks stay in yellow and b4 i bounce my master fader only peaks at -3 dbfs. again thnk you for ur help in input i appreciate the time you took to respond.
What pad are you talking about? I'm talking about the pad on the preamp box. There should be no reason to use a pad on the interface, but you have to adjust the gain settings correctly there...

The Mbox 2 mini is not a nice interface. It has have a braindead combo line/DI inputs which you cannot bypass the DI/mic preamp. You need to try turning the gain on the Mbox down when using a line level input. Now what to set it to? Who knows (If it was sitting in front of me I'd run a test with a signal generator to get a decent level from a know "line-level" input), but if you are not able to pull your level way down by turning down the gain on that external preamp then you are likely doing something wrong with gain staging here.

As a general rule I'd spend more money on a better interface and not an external preamp. You can get just about anything there with plugins. And it avoids chasing problems like gain staging caused by the stupid front-end design of the Mbox 2 Mini. At much higher price points for mic and preamp/channel strip I'd argue differently, but not in this case.

None of this may be causing your main problem, but it points to a likely issue.

BTW when people complain about hearing stuff in earbuds one of the first things I would want to be careful of is the level/volume you are listening at. Many people try to drive (especially open design/non sealed in-ear) earbuds too hard. And it uncovers problems in the earbuds. It's psychological thing, in part caused by missing the overall bass/body feel of sitting in front of a loud speaker moving air. Try listening at a lower volume, try comparing to similar material, try the earbuds on your computer, etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-05-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Last idea, what connections are at each end of the cable that connects your preamp to the Mbox? Going into the Mbox you MUST go in with a quarter inch connection. If you are connecting via xlr, then you are feeding a line level output(the external preamp) into a mic-level input(the xlr of the Mbox). Thanks for the screen shot, but its too small for me to read clearly on this laptop(will try to look tomorrow on a bigger screen.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave