Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 AM

Default Re: S3 or D-command?

Quote:
Tell me one rational person who spends 50-75k on a big mouse would think its acceptable that they have to spend another 600 a year minimum just to keep it working.......
I don't even own an S6, my current project budgets don't justify the expenditure. But every year for the last ten years I've spent FAR MORE than $600 to keep my Pro Tools software and 3rd-party software up to date. I don't understand why so many people are bothered by the subscription system.

If I did own an S6, I would be astounded if it only cost $600 to keep it current. That's a deal!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:31 AM

The issue is that requiring a subscription for a nearly $100,000 console is a new development. Now, if that $600 support plan also covers the mechanical servicing as well it might well be worth it.

Some of us remember when HD updates were significantly less expensive and at the option of the user. During that time the software appeared to be improving as well. The last great features were elastic audio and disc cache, although I suppose the under the hood improvements in 11 could also be included. IMOYMMV

It also explains why the D-Command and D-Control remain viable even though they are out of production.

Best....H
Old 08-23-2015, 11:30 AM

the facilities I know of lease their gear, especially S6, D-control, and have already been on avid support plans that cost more than $600. the next day overnight shipping of a replacement part is a major reason.

but... the avid advantage support plan for pro tools hd is $400/yr and includes software updates. is that being phased out?

you can see a few of the avid advantage support plans here

http://www.fullcompass.com/category/...rand%5B%5D=AVD

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

Avid's whole structure is very confusing and vague.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Avid

When you buy the S6 M10 or M40 system it comes with a full year of hardware support and software upgrades included. From our website:
"S6 comes with one year of Avid Advantage ExpertPlus support with Hardware Coverage, which includes 7x24 support access, priority phone support, advance hardware exchange (next business day), complimentary S6 software upgrades, and more to keep you up and running."

If you wish to cover every module or only some modules for the 24-7 support plan after that first year - you can choose to do so for a price based on what you have. If you only wish to cover the Master Module and also receive software enhancements/updates for that next year it is roughly $ 600 for the M10 and roughly a $ 1,000 for the M40.

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 08-23-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
When you buy the S6 M10 or M40 system it comes with a full year of hardware support and software upgrades included. From our website:
"S6 comes with one year of Avid Advantage ExpertPlus support with Hardware Coverage, which includes 7x24 support access, priority phone support, advance hardware exchange (next business day), complimentary S6 software upgrades, and more to keep you up and running."

If you wish to cover every module or only some modules for the 24-7 support plan after that first year - you can choose to do so for a price based on what you have. If you only wish to cover the Master Module and also receive software enhancements/updates for that next year it is roughly $ 600 for the M10 and roughly a $ 1,000 for the M40.
Tom, help me understand the support plan requirement for the s3, a 4k controller. 600 a year to keep it up to date!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
the facilities I know of lease their gear, especially S6, D-control, and have already been on avid support plans that cost more than $600. the next day overnight shipping of a replacement part is a major reason.

but... the avid advantage support plan for pro tools hd is $400/yr and includes software updates. is that being phased out?

you can see a few of the avid advantage support plans here

http://www.fullcompass.com/category/...rand%5B%5D=AVD

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

Avid's whole structure is very confusing and vague.
If we were just talking support, I completely understand. But you can't get any updates to Eucon, unless you're paying ProTools annual support plan.

These are completely different things! So let's say avid fixes bugs, I just said bugs didn't I, that's right, avid actually fixing things they screwed up to begin with, well you can't get any of those updates unless you're paying the $600 year ProTools HD support plan! That's what's so freaking insane!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-23-2015, 10:12 PM

Also, I've been using a pro control, for well over a decade, and I have never, not once, ever needed any support for it!

Old 08-24-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
If we were just talking support, I completely understand. But you can't get any updates to Eucon, unless you're paying ProTools annual support plan.

These are completely different things! So let's say avid fixes bugs, I just said bugs didn't I, that's right, avid actually fixing things they screwed up to begin with, well you can't get any of those updates unless you're paying the $600 year ProTools HD support plan! That's what's so freaking insane!
For each advantage plan:

Software Upgrades: Software upgrades for the system will be provided to Advantage customers at no charge

It's very confusing what Avid has going on here.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:56 AM

It's a tiered system to try to take in some money.

Obviously every company needs to, it's just with the new Board's direction it seems that the most important goal

It's weird I suppose more of a software company's situation, b/c I don't see other hardware companies slumming to get subscription fees

It is what it is.......acceptance is the first step
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:43 AM

The main issue to me is that the S6 was not finished when it was released. Paying for support and upgrades is one thing. But the line between software update and software upgrade has disappeared. So to get bug fixes and base functionality now you have to upgrade rather than simply update.

One year just does not seem long enough at the current development rate.