Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Best technique for backing up ProTools files?

I have a Mac G4 867, running OS 9.2. I am using ProTools HD2 version 5.3.1.

I have my ProTools sessions/data stored on three internal drives (separate from the system drive). I back up my internal drives with two external drive (one firewire, one USB).

I back up the internal drives by simply dragging the internal drive desktop symbols onto the external drive symbols. This seems to work fine. However, I note that others apparently use application programs for this. Is there a reason I need to buy specific software for creating backup files of my sessions and audio data, or is my technique just as safe?

Just want to be sure I'm not doing something dumb.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-08-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Best technique for backing up ProTools files?

I use mezzo that way all file associations aned data are kept together
Old 07-08-2004, 02:06 PM

a) I suggest you not drag and drop for backups.. since you may forget a file - use the built-in function in the File menu Save Session Copy In... to move sessions if you're not going to use a backup utility.

b) I personally use Retrospect which keeps a database of all backed up files and will only copy files which have been altered.. so you're only doing incremental backups... not backing up everything every time. You can also restore the drive back to the exact image it was if you need to at a later time.

There are some inexpensive OS X apps available which do similar incremental backups.. I posted one once before in a previous thread on the DUC (I'll see if I can find the thread). Link to iMSafe

Previous thread

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 07-08-2004, 03:14 PM

I actually have an old copy of Retrospect Express, version 4.1 which I bought in February, 2000. I had some problem with it; I think it created double desktop symbols or something when I'd backup a file. I probably just didn't know how to use it. Anyway, I just forgot about it at that point. If it is a better way to do backup, then I'll see what it will cost me to upgrade to the latest version.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-08-2004, 04:11 PM

I am now dusting off my Retrospect manual and trying it. First try to Backup, it found my external drive locked, told me it was locked, so I aborted. The desktop symbol for the backup drive disappeared, so I restarted, then found Retrospect had erased all the filed on the backup drive before it told me that it couldn't write to the drive. These are the kinds of problems I had with Retrospect before. Sigh.

Can I simply use Retrospect to Duplicate, rather than Backup? Is there any disadvantage to this? Maybe I can get that to work.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 07-09-2004, 02:44 AM

Why complicate things by using software. Just drag the folder you want to back up onto the other drive and save messing about. Then you have nobody to blame apart from yourself if it is missing!
Old 07-09-2004, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Why complicate things by using software. Just drag the folder you want to back up onto the other drive and save messing about. Then you have nobody to blame apart from yourself if it is missing!
I'll refer you to my post above in this thread on why not to simply copy folders in the Finder.

Rail
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 AM

But the problem with Save session copy in is that it will only work for one session. What if you have several session files for various stages in the recording? Earlier ones with all your drum outtakes you don't want bogging down the current session file, etc etc.

I would just make sure to always check disk allocation and coy the entire folder manually. Or use a program like silverkeeper to make mirror image of your working drive onto your backup drive. That will insure that any changes made to the working drive will be updated on the backup.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 AM

If you reread my post you'll notice I recommend he use a backup utility.. but I've been sent far too many sessions which have supposedly been backed up.. to find that they're missing files 'cause the person who backed up the session copied the files from in the Finder.. but missed some which were placed on another drive. To avoid that I always recommend that new users use Save Session Copy In... and if they want full backups to use a tool like Retrospect or iMSafe.

Simply copying in the Finder is flirting with disaster if the user isn't completely 110% sure of what they're doing.

Rail
Old 07-10-2004, 04:12 AM

I don't see how you can "forget a file". My audio is stored in Audio Files and fades in Fade Files. I also usually remember the session file! Surely you can keep the current album you are working on in one folder and copy that. If you can use Pro Tools and a Mac OS I think you can be trusted with this simple task. I just keep multiple saves as I go with an album. Then back-up to DVD at the end. Maybe keep on a spare ATA drive as well if it might come up again soon. What could be simpler?