Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2002, 04:57 PM

Default Can I transmit over multiple MIDI channels simultaneously via FastLane interface?

I have a ProTools HD1 (192 I/O) system on a G4 867. My MIDI chain is:
G4 USB port to USB hub to FastLane USB Interface to MidiMan 3x8 to Kurzweil K2600 (and back).

I have loaded the MOTU software, the FastLane is recognized in OMS, and I can see FastLane from the ProTools MIDI tracks as an output option. However, I am unable to select the MIDI channel to transmit on; it simply shows "FastLane" as the output.

I need to be able to transmit simultaneously over several channels. Can I not do this using the USB port and the FastLane? I need this so I can simultaneously send MIDI info for drums, keyboards, and bass to the K2600.

Since the device is advertised as a "32 channel device", I thought this was doable.

Do I need additional hardware?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 07-06-2002, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Can I transmit over multiple MIDI channels simultaneously via FastLane interface?

Come on guys, give me a little help. Its a simple question:

Can I transmit over several MIDI channels simultaneously using the FastLane USB interface?

If the answer is "Yes", why can't I see the 16 channels for selection at the MIDI track output window?

If the answer is "No', what hardware do I need to buy?

Thanks!!
Mike
Old 07-06-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Can I transmit over multiple MIDI channels simultaneously via FastLane interface?

Help!!!!

NOBODY can answer this??
Mike
Old 07-06-2002, 09:33 PM

I thought the Fastlane was only a 2 channel midi interface. If this is the case, you can only send 2 channels at a time............
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 07-06-2002, 10:28 PM

I believe it is a 2 INPUT, and 2 OUTPUT device, not a 2 CHANNEL device.

MOTU describes the FastLane as:
"FastLane is a simple 2 input, 2 output, 32-MIDI channel interface for Macintosh and Windows."

I read that to say that each MIDI input/output handles the normal 16 channels simultaneously thru the MIDI connections.

The question is:

What can you send thru the USB connection to/from the Mac simultaneously? I hope it is 16 channels; otherwise is is a 1-channel device as far as ProTools is concerned.

I still need some help. I haven't gotten a response from MOTU yet.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-06-2002, 11:49 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but I use a Fastlane going to Gigasampler, and can transmit on multiple channels. That has not been a limitation for many years....again, though, I'm not clear on what you are asking. Each cable in your OMS setup is capable of relaying 16 midi channels. So one cable to Gigasampler, capable of playing sounds on any or all of the 16 channels....
Old 07-07-2002, 01:39 AM

Okay, this is the deal

yes it IS a 32 channel device..
You need to make sure you have both Free Midi and OMS installed properly. Try looking up Free Midi in the answerbase and then installing OMS and Free Midi in the right order and doing everything it describes...if you already did do that then, this is the deal

Pull Up OMS...in your "current " setup..you should see the Motu Fastlane, whatever it says....you need to assign whatever instrument you have to it. It sounded like you have a midiman 3x8 connected to it. I really don't know why, but it sounds like you do, unless you are syncing to another computer...
But if you were to connect your Keyboard to the Fastlane, then in OMS, do "New Device" under the "studio" menu... and configure that device...
If you already have configured a device, then highlight the keyboard in your setup page...and go to "studio" menu, and then click on "Midi Device Info"....Towards the bottom, you should see "receive channels"...make sure that all of those are marked with a "x"...this will make all the channels available....under whatever you named your keyboard, which will be under the Fastlane in the output section of a Midi Track....

Hope this made sense....hope it works!

However, if your midiman, 3.x 8 is USB and works fine, I would use that instead of your Fastlane I have a Motu MTP AV, and I hate all the crap I have to go through with Free Midi, instead of just OMS!!!
It works fine, I just hated setting it up...it was touchy for me...
Old 07-07-2002, 01:45 AM

I don't know how well you know OMS, so don't feel insulted if I ask whether you have created a proper OMS studio setup ? if in doubt have a look at the OMS manual and the PT various guides.

I don't know fastlane but usually MOTU interfaces have discrete MIDI outputs but also have their own MIDI port for TimeCode issues. For the moment it seems your OMS setup is only seeing the latter.

One last thing if everything else fails : try connecting your interface directly into the G4 (no USB hub). My MTP AV does not like sharing the same USB stream as my Epson 900 printer so I had to connect them on different USB outputs.

hope this helps