Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 11:19 PM

Default a transition questions. attention venue experts

We are enjoying our new venue desk very much!

I have 2 features I miss from our old Yamaha LS9.
First, on direct outs (feeding aviom) I used to be able to select pre EQ, Post HPF, or post eq (all pre-fader).
Good when I've done some good eq-ing to something like kick or bass, and want to send that same stuff dow the aviom line.
Please tell me that I can still do that. I like virtual soundcheck to allow the band to adjust aviom, but can't believe the LS9 does something that our new beast does not do. Say it isn't so!!

Also, really missing tap-tempo. I used to have a quick-key assigned on the LS9, and could follow along with the songs and match tempos easily. Now, its many menus deep, and with no tapping.
Just love the board overall, and is quick to get comfy on, just hoping that if my wishes are denied, that a software update would fix it. Hoping my "dumpster-diver" as our venue installer named our LS9, doesn't have better tricks for Aviom use...

tp
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 AM

Default Re: a transition questions. attention venue experts

You can change the Direct Out pickoff point from the Patchbay screen. It can be set individually for each channel. As far as tap tempo....

I just had the explanation given to me and one of my colleagues by Sheldon and one of the senior software engineers, and while it would seem to be easy to us users, it is indeed a beast to deal with and has to do with the system's ability to keep passing audio if other parts of the system crash. There all walls that make it difficult for tap tempo to be initiated easily. The hardware system, software system and the audio system are all separate. If the worksurface crashes, you still pass audio, if the software crashes, you still pass audio. Yamaha on the other hand, has one overall system, and if it crashes, you're done (and it sounds like a YAMAHA!). The LS9 has internal effects that are built in and so it makes tap tempo a breeze to implement, whereas Digi has to make sure that whatever they come up with works with EVERY plug-in manufacturer that is and ever will be.

I know that they are working on it and it is a MAJOR priority, but be patient because it's not simple. What it looks like is that tempo will be a system level function and plug-ins will respond to tempo sync the same way they do in Pro Tools. That way they don't have to ask the plug-in manufacturers to have the plug-ins respond to a certain hardware key, the design and implementation work will be on Digi's end and the plug-ins will just sync.

Hope this long explanation helps. I know after our conversation with Sheldon I'm willing to wait cause I know that it will be integrated correctly.

Erik