Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Midi Timing Delay Sync Issue: MTC Sync

Bump. I can't believe no one has any idea what I am talking about on this. Even sadder is that I still haven't figured it out.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:37 AM

This is not a put down of anyone one on this forum. I know you can be a big help to alot of people. But I think this really sucks this forum. At some point on every other forum that I have ever been on a moderator of the company that ownes the forum will jump in to help the user. In this case it appears that no one from this forum really understands or cares about this issue. It would be nice if digidesign could step up to the plate and help out here. This is not good customer relations and I'm glad that I also use Cubase as there support forums and technical help have been much more user responsive and friendly. Too bad. Another example of a company that is a market leader for reasons more to market compatibility rather then inovation and customer services. Reminds me of a certain phone company in this country that no longer exsists.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:57 AM

Have you tried setting Cubase as the master and PT as the slave, this may resolve the delay?

Also i hate cubase, its probably cubase thats your problem, not pro tools!

I use External hardware when i sync midi - ever thought of connecting PT to an external sequencer?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 AM

First off, thanks for replying. At least i know I'm not being totally ignored. I guess I should be proud in a way also as I have come up with an issue/situation that no one has any idea how to correct or even explain...but I digress...back to the point you have mentioned.

I think Cubase is much better then ProTools for alot of reasons. No sense getting into it here because I dont think we will ever convince each other. But just for the record, tech support for Protools sucks in this respect. Steinberg is more user friendly....

I have tried both programs as Master and Slave. There is still an issue. I don't think it is one program or the other. I really think the issue is the protocol of MTC and midi being slow maybe? Not sure on this but this is what I had hoped to find out.

So, what I was hoping for was two things. Confirmation that this is just a MTC issue thing and it would happen to anybody, or if this shouldn't be happening. Secondly, what is the solution in both cases? If this happens to everybody who does this, is there some type of offset or adjustment I can do to accomidate for this delay so that the two sequencers start/record at the same time? Or if it is not common,or should not be happening what I can do to correct this.

ON your last question, what type of hardware are you using to sync with? I could try this but wouldn't this just use MTC which looks like it is the problem? The OO2 and Protools only uses MTC as far as I can tell. What type of sync are you using.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Avid

The delay is completely normal - you are correct in that MIDI is a rather slow (serial) protocol. The delay is the amount of time it takes to send a complete TC message and for Cubase to read it and get into sync.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 AM

Thank you thank you thank you for this reply A bit late but none the less much thanks. Now I know at least it is just not me.

But and this is a big but, you didn't suggest any correction or work around. Is there an offset to adjust this? I know there are some midi offsets and stuff but dont think that is the correct thing to do since it might throw off other timing. Is there anything I can do? I am open to any suggestions including paying money for other hardware or software. Of course first choice would be something simple and no $$$. If there is some type of offset, how do you determine the amount of time needed to set it correctly? Is there any other better sync types I can use that will not have this MTC sync delay?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Avid

There really is no workaround - even with SMPTE there's a 'lockup time' that is needed to get the DAW/deck in sync.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 AM

That is disapointing to hear but I guess it must be so because everything I tried to do did not work. At least I can put this to rest once and for all. I guess I need to keep very good documentation on where things begin end and so forth to make sure I have a pre-roll so that I can go back to project when necessary. Thanks again.