Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2001, 10:54 AM

Default Analogue/Digital?

Hi!

There are countless discussions about
digital recording being clinical and harsh, but I never took it seriously thinking of it as a subject for audiophiles.
Was I surprised when I had a chance to witness it for myself.
Everything sounded just better on the analogue multitrack. Highs less harsh and lows smoother.
And it was a not less then 10 years old Tascam M80 (1/2 inch I believe), that we compared to Digi 001.
I'd love to hear some comments from someone who tested the high end devices like Radar vs Studer or similar.
Thanks!

deve
Old 07-05-2001, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Analogue/Digital?

Putting our heads in the digital sound.. Oh Oh yes theese old animals sounds good.. It's been close to 10 years since I did my last AAA production.. On a more sober note - did you know that they started using plastic instead of laquer in vinyl as early as in the mid-seventies.. That had an impact on sound as big as digital. If you ever get the chance to listen to a good AAA recording on a good laquer record on a high-end system you'll understand the loss.. In both sound and quality (good laquer records hardly wear).

Weeping song,

Ben
Old 07-05-2001, 03:27 PM

I think its funny because all the great thing people like about older sound systems are thier dificiencies. All of which can be replicated in digital ( at high enough bit rates) using compression and equalization.
Old 07-05-2001, 03:31 PM

It all comes down to a purist belief. I know analog die-hards that simply hate anything digital. Then again, there are people on the planet that belong to the "Flat Earth Society." Use whatever tool fits the job and/or your budget.
Old 07-05-2001, 05:03 PM

When you mention deficiencies I guess you are referring to "technical " ones.
As we are here to make music and to express emotionally, I think it's what we hear and feel that counts and not some perfectly calculated waveforms.
I'd never taken the comments about digital=harsh, cold and so on seriously before, but now after the test (and when some money finds my way), I will certainly consider some old, heavy analogue multitrack against the latest and best (mathematically) digital gadgets.
I would still love to hear from someone who had an opportunity to test the high-end devices.
Thanks!
Old 07-06-2001, 07:50 AM

Devee, your comparison is absolutely meaningless unless you set up a controled comparison (care to clue us in as to exactly what music, how recorded, that you based this decision on?). Also, when you are using inferior digital convertors like that of the Digi001, you are automatically starting at a lesser quality. So it would be more correct to say that it sounded better than the Digi001 than an all encompasing statement that digital is now worse sounding than analog.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:59 AM

It's just easier to record on analog tape with hotter levels because it doesn't sound bad if it gets overloaded. Digital is unforgiving. You are not to record at too low or at too high levels...

Just put in a Digi Lo-Fi plug-in with a bit of noise, distortion and sutaration on every track, aux and master fader and you've got yourself the Analog sound! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, my opinion is that there is no diffence in "musicality" between analog and digital. It's just the engineer. If he/she hates or can not use digital gear to it's optimum, it's no wonder if it sounds harsh/unmusical/whatever...

I love Digital. All the resolution, quietness...Perfection.(Not even to mention of not having to cut analog tape for edits!)

Z
Old 07-06-2001, 04:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Zeus:
It's just easier to record on analog tape with hotter levels because it doesn't sound bad if it gets overloaded. Digital is unforgiving. You are not to record at too low or at too high levels...

Just put in a Digi Lo-Fi plug-in with a bit of noise, distortion and sutaration on every track, aux and master fader and you've got yourself the Analog sound! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, my opinion is that there is no diffence in "musicality" between analog and digital. It's just the engineer. If he/she hates or can not use digital gear to it's optimum, it's no wonder if it sounds harsh/unmusical/whatever...

I love Digital. All the resolution, quietness...Perfection.(Not even to mention of not having to cut analog tape for edits!)

Z
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Zeus, thank God I have ears..