Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-30-2019, 05:24 AM

Default CPU overload and spikes during tempo change in Pro Tools 11 sessions

I have a new computer with high specs and yet CPU goes crazy during simple change in a track tempo (gradully slowing down or speeding up). It happens also when there is no audio playing and all PT11 has to do is to compute tempo changes. I have plugins consuming about 20% of RAM so there is a lot of headroom. Any thoughts?

I am on:

PT11
WIN10 PRO
AMD Ryzen7 2700 8-core 3.2GHz
64GB RAM
RME PCI-e sound card

michalszablowski.com
Old 08-31-2019, 11:45 AM

Default Re: CPU overload and spikes during tempo change in Pro Tools 11 sessions

Tough to say, but consider:
1-Having a computer with "high specs" is worthless if it includes hardware that isn't compatible with PT Post a Sandra report to reveal hardware details(and have all your normally used stuff connected)
2-what system tweaks have you done(IOW, have you done all the required tweaks yet)?
3-Intel CPU's offer hyperthreading, which for some will work best turned off, while others get better performance with it on. I don't know about AMD, but it might be something to look at.
4-What drive do your sessions live on? If you only have a single physical drive, it needs to be a fast SSD. A spinning drive is not fast enough to handle system AND recording.
5-(more reason to post a Sandra report) how are your drives formatted? How are they partitioned(or are they)?

Look for the link near the top of this(and every) DUC page called Help Us Help You and have a read. Then come back with the Sandra report and the good folks here will try to help

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-31-2019, 11:49 AM

Default Re: CPU overload and spikes during tempo change in Pro Tools 11 sessions

Are you running tempo-based delays over tempo changes? (Also consider in-built delays in your plugins like Kontakt has delay modules that can be used by Library programers.)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Thank you.
I am running PT 11 on Win10 and that may be the issue since they are not listed as compatible.
I have noticed weird session performance not only with tempo change situation. On another session I get the CPU error/overload even though the session is simple and the CPU seems to be relaxed (5-15%).
I will go through the steps that you have mentioned and come back with some add. info.

michalszablowski.com
Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 AM

I am back with some partial feedback.
So first of all it looks like the session performance was really bad when I had a PT session on one of my HDD drives.
I have a SDD with Windows&Pro Tools installed on it. I also have two HDD 2-Terabyte drives. One was meant to be for sample libraries that requires much space and the second one (the drive I've recently bought) I intended to be PT sessions drive. In practice it's not working correctly and the performance on this "session drive" is poor. I have copied the session to the "libraries drive" and it is much better there.
The tempo changes however still use a lot of CPU. Disabling tempo sync in delays plugins helped a little bit.
I have disabled C-State Transition in my BIOS but don't see much difference. Avid Windows 10 quide suggests that it should be disabled.

There's still a lot to check so I will come back with more info later.

michalszablowski.com
Old 09-06-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSz View Post
I am back with some partial feedback.
So first of all it looks like the session performance was really bad when I had a PT session on one of my HDD drives.
I have a SDD with Windows&Pro Tools installed on it. I also have two HDD 2-Terabyte drives. One was meant to be for sample libraries that requires much space and the second one (the drive I've recently bought) I intended to be PT sessions drive. In practice it's not working correctly and the performance on this "session drive" is poor. I have copied the session to the "libraries drive" and it is much better there.
The tempo changes however still use a lot of CPU. Disabling tempo sync in delays plugins helped a little bit.
I have disabled C-State Transition in my BIOS but don't see much difference. Avid Windows 10 quide suggests that it should be disabled.

There's still a lot to check so I will come back with more info later.
Those two spinners - are they so-called 'green' drives? Are they 7200 rpm? Are they inside the computer or external drives? If external how are they connected?

QAPLA!