Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 PM

Default Recording with the Eleven Rack and Protools9

I'm about to purchase an 11R with PT9. I have a question about recording multiple sources simultaneously with PT.

I realize I can record other instruments/vocals thru the 11R.
If I would to try to record a live session with drums, vocals, bass, etc.. can I record multiple tracks simultaneously? What kind of interface would I use to record from the 11R as well as other sources?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Recording with the Eleven Rack and Protools9

When you're using it as an interface, you can record a few things at the same time. But if you're trying to record drums, you won't really have enough inputs, unless you are just doing a stereo pair.

Basically you have 6 physical inputs: 1 mic input, 1 guitar input, 2 line inputs (for using an external 2 channel preamp), and then 2 channels of spidf digital input (for which you would need external preamps and external digital converters, or a combination preamp/digital converter).

As you can see, after all that, it's still not very many inputs, and by the time you add the extra equipment to fully use it, it would be cheaper to just buy a different interface that has more preamps and inputs built in.

Also, make absolutely sure that you're getting the Eleven Rack/Protools 9 bundle from your dealer, not the older one with Protools 8, especially if you order online. They are often the same price and it can be confusing. The one with PT9 gives you a free upgrade to PT10, and also includes the Expansion Pack, which gives you more amps/effects.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Recording with the Eleven Rack and Protools9

Thanks. I've figured the PT bundle thing out. The bummer is nobody has them in stock yet and I can't stand waiting.

What if I wanted to record 8 tracks at once? What mixer/interface would I use with PT?