Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2020, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Can someone please explain Ableton Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratava911 View Post
Could someone give me the steps to do this... Sorry. This is documented absolutely nowhere! I have been googling for hours!!!

This is the software I was referring to.

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2021, 11:37 AM

How do you enable Link in ProTools?
Old 04-05-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratava911 View Post
Could someone give me the steps to do this... Sorry. This is documented absolutely nowhere! I have been googling for hours!!!
Here are three pages from my book "Pro Tools 2020 - How it Works" that explain what Ableton Link is and how to set it up in Pro Tools.
(Sorry for the low resolution, the images seem to get highly compressed when posted on this forum)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ableton Link 1.jpg (58.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ableton Link 2.jpg (46.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ableton Link 3.jpg (72.1 KB, 0 views)
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 12-02-2021, 08:13 AM

I think your answer is to sync the two DAWs via MTC and not using Ableton Link at all.

I'm looking to do the same thing as you... I think. And if I understand what you're trying to do, the problem with Ableton Link is that only links tempo and start/stop. I could be wrong, but from what I can tell, there is no timecode sync. So if you start your PT project at 1 minute, it would just start your ableton project wherever the playhead is in Ableton. That doesn't work for me.

But there is a solution that works! Synching the two programs via MTC and not Ableton Link.

Here's a youtube video I found that explains it very clearly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEdS...el=JoeyMaguire

Following his instructions you can use PT as the Timecode Master and have your midi tracks running in Ableton. When you hit play on PT, ableton will start playing in sync with it. If you move to a minute into your project on PT and hit play, Ableton will play in sync with that. The only thing I'd add to his video is that in mac's Midi Studio, if your IAC Driver is grayed out, you'll need to double click on it and then check the box that says "Device is Online."

Of course you'll need to find a way to get your audio back into Pro Tools. For that you could use Loopback. Or you could just export the audio from Ableton, when you're ready, and then import that audio into PT. Both methods have their pluses and minuses, I think.

Not positive this is what you were looking to do but this does seem like a more comprehensive way to sync the two programs.