Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-14-2021, 07:08 PM

Default Re: New version of Avid Link

How is this app possibly this bad?

The Pro Tools Projects and Messages tabs won't even load, so starting a new collaboration is impossible right now. When windows do occasionally decide to load, some of the buttons like add contact, or send email invite are completely missing from the UI. You have to right click -> refresh/reload and then suddenly those buttons appear. Like what????

The entire collaboration feature is totally broken right now, which seems insane to me. Isn't this supposed to be one of their flagship features that they pushed so hard? What a joke
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 03-15-2021, 07:51 AM

colliderman, I had similar issues with Avid Link a few weeks ago. A client insisted we try the Cloud Collaboration features for an ongoing project. One of the first hurdles was getting our accounts connected and the sessions shared. We had been using Avid Link but several tabs wouldn't load.

Most or all of the functionality in Link is also built into PT itself under the Avid Link menu item. You may have somemore luck there but I would caution you to avoid Cloud Collaboration altogether if you can avoid it. We abandoned it completely after a week of DAW crashes, indecipherable error messages, improper syncing and hours of work lost to the aether. Save yourself the trouble and sync your work via Dropbox or similar.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
colliderman, I had similar issues with Avid Link a few weeks ago. A client insisted we try the Cloud Collaboration features for an ongoing project. One of the first hurdles was getting our accounts connected and the sessions shared. We had been using Avid Link but several tabs wouldn't load.

Most or all of the functionality in Link is also built into PT itself under the Avid Link menu item. You may have somemore luck there but I would caution you to avoid Cloud Collaboration altogether if you can avoid it. We abandoned it completely after a week of DAW crashes, indecipherable error messages, improper syncing and hours of work lost to the aether. Save yourself the trouble and sync your work via Dropbox or similar.
Appreciate the response. I did try from pro tools itself but we had no luck either. Funnily enough, shortly after I posted here it finally did start to work. No rhyme or reason, just avid link started working, the collab window in pro tools started working, and low and behold I thought things were looking up.

Of course, in classic Pro Tools fashion, nothing is working properly this morning as I attempt to open the project. It's a calamity of errors. First it was pro tools hanging at "looking for new versions in the cloud". Ok, restart, try again, same problem. Ok, log out, log back in. Ah, now it's downloading the project.

Get into the project, none of the collaboration features are working again. Artist chat window is not showing any activity, not showing any contacts. Ok, maybe it's because of Avid Link? Nope, that's actually working right now. Restart pro tools. This time the task manager pops up and says "Downloading: Hard Fail." ok..

Close pro tools, back to avid link, maybe let's sign out/sign in again? Nope. can't sign in. "The Avid Platform is currently unavailable. Please try again later. Error# 503".

What an absolute joke this is. It is beyond unbelievable what a huge piece of **** this software can be. I'm sorry, I've typically tried to avoid venting and ranting on this site over the years but I'm so fed up with Pro Tools not working as advertised. At least Avid seem self aware with their error messages. "Hard Fail" is exactly right.
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 03-24-2021, 08:00 AM

We had exactly the same problems where I work, recording our radio show host remotely. Every single session was a hassle. So, I created a new session for him to work in and uploaded it to a shared Google Drive folder. Now, whenever he records anything, the audio file shows up on my hard drive moments later. I know it's not a full replacement for sharing a multitrack session, or even a single track with edits. But at least it works flawlessly every time.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB