Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Best room placement for Leslie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larold View Post
It's very easy to set the Leslie back in a nice Altiverb room, but if you record it at the end of a hallway, and then change your mind, it's not easy to bring it front and center.
This was done about 30 years ago when all this digital stuff was but a dreamHaving said that, I must add that the Leslie sim in DB-33(which can be used as Leslie-only) is one of the best Leslie plugins there is.(but as soon as I have room, the old 122 will be wired and ready)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
the closer to the center of the room the less buildup
I'd try it 1/3 to center of the short wall
Thanks. Right now it's in the approximate center of the room.

I just now saw all these responses to my post. Maybe I don't have some email notification set up? I can't seem to find an option for that.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I would be wary of two mics on the top rotor as that make the apparent speed of the top rotor seem to be twice the speed of the bottom rotor. One mic on top and one mic for the bottom. Although if you have a mic with an omni pattern and that's your only good mic I'd use that a few feet from the cabinet with the cabinet moved out away from the walls.
I haven't actually tried it, but it seems clear that if two top mics were on opposite sides of the center of the rotor, the apparent speed would be doubled as you said. If the two mics were not opposite, they would make some degree of "shuffle" beat which would be REALLY weird.

...Although having said that, I suppose you could position the mics to make a perfect shuffle and time the song to go with it. I've heard that done with echo effects.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_pianoman View Post
Thanks. Right now it's in the approximate center of the room.

I just now saw all these responses to my post. Maybe I don't have some email notification set up? I can't seem to find an option for that.
There's an option for subscription to threads and email notification in your user control panel. Go to 'Edit Options' and in the Messaging and Notification section on the right side of that page there's a box titled 'Default Thread Subscription Mode'. There's 5 different notification possibilities ranging from 'do not subscribe' to 'no notification' to various notification options. You also have to have a legitimate email address for the notifications to go to of course. Be aware that your isp's spam trap may falsely mark these as spam.

QAPLA!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
When choosing the mic method, you need to consider the desired result. If you want something that's front and center, then you might put stereo mics top AND bottom, or you might put a single mic in a dry room and let it be simple and "in your face". I have even done a single mix at the far end of a 50' hallway for a specific texture. My point is, try EVERYTHING(so you know/learn what to expect) and then choose accordingly. Remember, no method is wrong, if it gets the result you want
Sorry about slow response. As noted above, I didn't know I got all these great replies...

I'm getting a better sound now away from the corner -- away from the wall even.

I've tried this for mic placements and it seems to be effective. The better the sound of the room, the better this would be..
mic 1) a few inches away from top rotor in the open back of the Leslie
mic 2) a few to several feet away in the same direction* as the first mic -- a little lower than the top rotors and pointing roughly at the center of the leslie. (* to ensure that the top rotor is picked up at the same time on both mics)

The second mic picks up the bottom rotor in a nice way as well as some room sound. Also picks up the top directly a tiny fraction of a second later than mic #1 though I don't know if that's significant. I guess five feet would be about 1 millisecond. Is that audible?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry about slow response. As noted above, I didn't know I got all these great replies...

I'm getting a better sound now away from the corner -- away from the wall even.

I've tried this for mic placements and it seems to be effective. The better the sound of the room, the better this would be..
mic 1) a few inches away from top rotor in the open back of the Leslie
mic 2) a few to several feet away in the same direction* as the first mic -- a little lower than the top rotors and pointing roughly at the center of the leslie. (* to ensure that the top rotor is picked up at the same time on both mics)

The second mic picks up the bottom rotor in a nice way as well as some room sound. Also picks up the top directly a tiny fraction of a second later than mic #1 though I don't know if that's significant. I guess five feet would be about 1 millisecond. Is that audible?
Shouldn't be audible although you may see it on a waveform analyzer with both channels on it.

As an aside an AKGD112 mic that's usually used for kick drums and bass instruments works well as a mic for the bottom drum rotor.

QAPLA!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
There's an option for subscription to threads and email notification in your user control panel. Go to 'Edit Options' and in the Messaging and Notification section on the right side of that page there's a box titled 'Default Thread Subscription Mode'. There's 5 different notification possibilities ranging from 'do not subscribe' to 'no notification' to various notification options. You also have to have a legitimate email address for the notifications to go to of course. Be aware that your isp's spam trap may falsely mark these as spam.
Thanks so much!!! Just got here again today and found your response. I changed it from "do not describe" to "instant email notification".

Okay, now I wonder how I could have responded to this post without quoting yours.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't be audible although you may see it on a waveform analyzer with both channels on it.

As an aside an AKGD112 mic that's usually used for kick drums and bass instruments works well as a mic for the bottom drum rotor.
Thanks! And thanks for the mic tip on the Leslie bottom.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much!!! Just got here again today and found your response. I changed it from "do not describe" to "instant email notification".

Okay, now I wonder how I could have responded to this post without quoting yours.
That's easy - go to the bottom of the page and there's a block where you can type in text for a reply. You just need to click on the Post Reply button just above and slightly to the left and you can type in said box.

QAPLA!