Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-01-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Ram usage with Mac OSX Pro Tools 7.2

Just curious how much ram people are using in 7.2 on osx and if they've noticed a big increase in speed. 7.2 seems really sluggish. We run 1.5GB Dual 2Ghz with HD3 pci-e.

Thx
Old 10-02-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Ram usage with Mac OSX Pro Tools 7.2

Hi!
I am running 4G on a dual 2.66G, HD2 Accel (internall)

I initially had the 1G (2-512M sticks) with LE, and ordered 2-1G sticks from Apple. Due to a major snafu, I was told it was backordered, so I canceled and ordered 2-1G sticks from OWC. The 2-1G sticks arrived from Apple a week later...

ANyway, I initially kept the 2-512M sticks that came with the Mac Pro in there, and stuck in the new sticks on the lower riser. HUGE difference with PT LE. Populating the first two slots on each riser uses the full buss path/width for memory utilization this way. I am pretty sure this was one reason for the gains...that and the extra 2G! I use alot of virtual instruments, so this was valuable to me.

When the sticks arrived from Apple, I decided to go ahead and pull the two 512M sticks and relace them with the new RAM. The gains were not nearly as drastic as the previous. In fact, I was kinda disappointed at first. But, with the amount of sample based insturments I use, I did see a big benefit for them in having the extra RAM.

Why didnt I simply add the RAM, instead of replacing? Because that would have placed the new RAM, or any RAM populating the second two slots of the top riser without using the lower two as well, into a half-width mode, more or less. Plus, it would have added more heat (and I am very happy with the fans running as slowly as they are). The advantages were FARRR outweighed (IMO) by the penalties, and so the stock ram is now in a box.

Personally, I think what I have is perfect for me, and the uses I have for PT. I think that using 4 sticks (two in each riser) would be beneficial, if the full power of the memory pathway is wanted. If 2G is enough, grab 2 more sticks of that 512M it comes with, and add them. Matching the top riser amount to the lower riser amount is not necessary at all; mine was blazing like that.

Wicked machine, and coming from a very strong background and history with Windows OS, I would need something pretty drastic to tempt me back...Darth Mac all the way for me now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.