Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 06:19 AM

Default \'shoot-out\' reviews of RTAS plugin packs.

Are there any? I don't know what package to buy. Someone here recommended a Waves bundle, but I'm sure there's more than just Waves.

If there are no reviews maybe you guys can help me? All I want is to have some extra EQ, nice compression and a good mastering limiter (Maxim sucks! In my opinion, that it.). And maybe some reverbs. Any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2002, 06:36 AM

Default Re: \'shoot-out\' reviews of RTAS plugin packs.

Waves Gold Bundle RTAS and Rennaisance are what you are looking for. Excellent multiband EQ, great compression and some killer flanger, modulation and reverb effects. I believe that they are far superior to ANY plugin suite... Well, except for Bomb Factory plugins, which I also highly recommend. Both have been reviewed in Keyboard and Electronic Musician, although I cannot tell you off hand which issues they were. For the BF plugs, there were lots of PRO'S and the only CON'S given by EM was that these plugins were not available in VST and MAS formats.
Expect to drop a lot of coin for these. Waves are roughly $1000 and the complete suite of BF plugins is about $4000, but you can buy individual plugs seperately from $200 to $500.
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 01-28-2002, 07:01 AM

I highly recommend the Waves Native Powerpack. Excellent plugin bundle and affordable. It'll give you everything you mentioned you were looking for. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 07:31 AM

Native power pack rules!!!!!! (and the other waves plugins too....)

Bastiaan
Old 01-28-2002, 07:59 AM

Hi,
The Native Power Pack has almost everything every day. I think it is missing the C4 compressor which I presonally like a lot. Actually, I don't think I'd be happy without the C4...

My 2 cents,
Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bastiaan:
Native power pack rules!!!!!! (and the other waves plugins too....)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-28-2002, 08:07 AM

'shout out' should be 'shoot out' hahaha... sorry, my mistake. I feel silly.

Going to read the replies now.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:23 AM

Excuse the dumb question but, Are these plug-ins really that much better than the digi suite? Also are the BF's that much better than the waves to justify the price difference.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2002, 08:32 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rdi1:
Excuse the dumb question but, Are these plug-ins really that much better than the digi suite? Also are the BF's that much better than the waves to justify the price difference.

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>YES, and not that the Digi's are bad, but the Waves are better IMO. I think most everyone will agree with that. Also, the Bombfactory Classic Compressors are very cool too. I really like using the LA2A on a lot of stuff.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:34 AM

rdi1,

Yes, in my opinion the Waves and BF plugins are much, much better than the Digi plugins.

To answer your second question, the BF plugins are great but not necessarily better than the Waves stuff. They cost more because BF is a relatively small company compared to Waves.

Marc
Old 01-28-2002, 09:27 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rdi1:

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is not a silly question.
To the trained ear definitely. As far as price justification, it is all decided by you. What do you want you mixes to sound like? If you are at the point where music is more than a hobby and you want to crank out mixes that sound big budget than I think the price is well worth it. The Digi plugins do not give you as much control as these plugins do. And when you break down hardware vs. software you will see that the prices are even more worth it.
(I am only comparing prices. I am not stating that software can directly replace or out perform hardware, as many pieces of gear have there place in the studio and are absolutely necessary to have.)
A good hardware compressor is going to run anywhere between $700-$2000. That 1 to 2 channels max. Depending on your system, you could run several instances of a comprable plugin. To me it is well worth it. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5