Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 PM

Default Start Playback Via External MIDI Command

I would really like to know of a way to execute session playback (normally achieved by pressing play on the control surface) via an external MIDI device. My objective is to sync a Logic project with my Pro Tools session. My setup is limited to:

1) Mac Pro connected via Firewire to a Digi002.
2) A Mac Book Pro connected via USB to an Axiom 49 keyboard.
3) I route audio generated by Logic out of the MacBook Pro's 1/8" analog output to the Alt Source input on the back of the Digi002. I create an auxiliary track in Pro Tools that receives audio from Analog 7-8 and then switch on the "ALT SRC TO IN 7-8" button on the face of the Digi002.

I was thinking about connecting a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT port of the Axiom 49 to the MIDI IN port on the back of the Digi002.

In Logic I simply assigned the play and stop function to the physical play and stop buttons on the Axiom 49. Having done this, I was under the impression that by pressing the physical play and stop buttons on the keyboard, I would be sending play and stop messages to Logic via the USB cable and the same messages to Pro Tools via the MIDI cable.

I created a MIDI track in Pro Tools that listens to All incoming messages.
When I push the play and stop buttons on the Axiom49:

Logic does play and stop
Pro Tools doesn't play or stop.

I can only guess that:
a) Play and stop messages are not MIDI messages as much as internal messages specific to Logic. Because they are not MIDI messages they aren't being sent to the MIDI OUT port of the Axiom49. Maybe there is a standard method for sending a "start playback" command that I could send to both computers.
b) I haven't configured something in Pro Tools to listen to the message if it is being sent.

I would love help on this given the fact that while I am mainly a Pro Tools user, I have found use for software instruments that are unique to Logic. As of right now, I can't really audition the validity of a given musical phrase created with say Logic as it sits against the tracks in Pro Tools due to the inability to sync the two.