Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2001, 05:44 PM

Default TDM, Waves, Real-time Confusion

Hi,
I'm a little confused about plug-ins in
terms of tdm, audiosuite, realtime, etc.
I've just borrowed some wave plugs from
a friend to demo them before i buy them
and im having a tough time installing them.
I have a PT LE 5.0 and DIGI001 setup.
Should I be able to run these waves plugs real time? Because i can get them to show up in the audiosuite menu but cannot get them to run through an insert. Basically the way i installed them was put the waveshell dae file in the dae: plug-ins folder then all the plug ins in the My HD: Waves: Waves Plug-ins folder. The original AudioSuite plugs i kept in the dae folder. If anyone has any answers on how i get them to run real time or possibly some links to explanations of TDM, plugins basics in general, it would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks,
JE
Old 04-21-2001, 06:53 PM

Default Re: TDM, Waves, Real-time Confusion

I'm having the same exact problem.. I haven't called Waves to troubleshoot yet, but that should be the next step.
Old 04-21-2001, 08:40 PM

Mark,
Could you let me know what Waves tech support says because seeing as i'm just demoing the plugs from a friend i cant access tech support. I'd like to know the answer so that i can possibly by the whole bundle.
Thanks,
JE
Old 04-22-2001, 08:32 PM

Sorry for the bump but I still need help with this.
Old 04-23-2001, 06:30 AM

TDM means Time Division Multiplexing and the plug-ins use the DSP cards for processing.

RTAS (often pronounced are-tas) is Real Time AudioSuite and uses you computers CPU for processing.

Audiosuite are plug-ins that are printed to make a new file with the chosen effect. For example if you add reverb to a drum track then PT will rewrite the track with the reverb on it giving you a whole new drum track with reverb added.

Of course you need a TDM system to run TDM plug-ins. RTAS plug-ins WILL NOT run on PTLE.
They will show up in the DAE folder, but will not work. TDM plug-ins are more powerful than RTAS and there are more plug-ins for TDM than RTAS.

RTAS plug-ins can be used with PTLE or PT ver. 5.1. Depending on how powerful your computer is they offer the same as the TDM version although there may be some latency and some plug-ins eat CPU's for lunch.

Audiosuite should be used when you know the settings of the plug-in and the setting will not be changed throughout the song. You cannot automate nor tweak audiosuite plug-ins so when you insert audiosuite plug-ins make sure they are at the settings you want.

You should check to see if the plug-ins you have aren't the TDM version which probably why they aren't working. Also most plug-ins come with authorization codes so they can't be used or installed on more than one computer. This is for security reasons.
But you can find demo versions of most plug-ins at the manufacturers website.
Old 04-23-2001, 06:42 AM

If borrowing plugins were really that easy, nobody would buy them.

The only way to demo plug-ins is to get a demo CD, or download a demo version from the manufactures website. When you run the installer, it places files on your hard drive the plug needs to see to tell it how to behave - is it a demo, do you own it, how much time is left, etc. Since you didn't run an installer, those files aren't there for the plug to see, so they're not going to work.

When you buy a program like Waves for example, you can only authorize it to work on ONE drive period. These guys are not stupid.

------------------
bassmac
Old 04-24-2001, 03:18 AM

I agree about getting the demos from waves directly & givem a workout.

Am I remembering correctly? But wasn't a selling point for the old Dongles for Waves, the idea that you could take your waves with you to another studio, install them & use them as long as an authorized dongle was onboard?

Seems like I read that in their promo material back before I bought the Gold bundle only to find out that the dang dongle wouldn't fit my G4 & I had to add an adapter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they ditched the dongle idea with version 3. It was a big pain, and I never did take waves with me. Everywhere I went already had them so it was no biggie.

------------------
C Ya, Stan
www.mp3.com/stanhendrix
Good - Fast - Cheap
Pick Any Two
Old 04-24-2001, 07:55 AM

Even though Waves can be only authorized to run from one drive, that drive can be an external one. So if you think you'll ever have the need to tote it around to another studio, do your initial install on a external drive and you'll still have that option.

------------------
bassmac
Old 04-24-2001, 10:20 AM

RTAS=real time audio suite.

The only reason I have not been able to get several open on an insert in PTLE 5.0.1 is because the plug was Mono only and I tried to open it on a stereo aux--(Mic Modler)

Also autotune does not show up in audiosuite but works great on an insert. (also Mono)

This seems to be an Antares thing for me, but---who would want to open a Reverb in audiosuite??.

1 more thought--I recently Upgraded to Waves Gold, and the C4 was Not RTAS but was TDM and works great in PTLE--Go figure??

If you launch the Wave key (used for dongles authorization) you will see that there are TDM with RTAS in the Waves Gold (for RTAS) bundle........

[This message has been edited by guitates (edited April 24, 2001).]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr