Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Default export video omf from avid

Hey Guys

I've been messing with an old copy of Avid Xpress Pro HD to learn a little Avid workflow and be able to transcode my quicktimes to avid media for use in Pro Tools with mojo (SD workflow). I'm trying to figure out a way to instruct Avid editors a way to export an AAF that will copy and link both audio and video so i can avoid having to re-encode their quicktime back to omf. When i try this in projects I'm messing with in avid it gives me exactly what was in the session, every individual omf media file with all video edits intact.

How do i export an AAF with one continuous video media file of the whole program ( like a quicktime would "flatten" it) ?

And is it just me or is Avid totally non-user friendly? Counter intuitive, guess it keeps the riff raff out

Best

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 AM

Default Re: export video omf from avid

Quote:
How do i export an AAF with one continuous video media file of the whole program ( like a quicktime would "flatten" it)?
Export to a QuickTime movie, is what I'd say. Then use aaf for only audio. The advantage of getting video through aaf is to have access to the clips and their edit points.

The editors can import that movie to include it with the aaf, but I don't see any advantage to that since it increases the amount of time on their side of things with little or no benefit to you.

I agree that Avid is not at all intuitive to use for a Pro Tools user, and its lack of muti-tasking is infuriating. (You cannot change zoom or mark in/out points, or almost anything else, without stopping playback). I think PT and MC will eventually merge, but Avid editors very much like the workflow they are already comfortable with.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 AM

The advantage for me would be no delay out to my client monitor.
(CRT). I see what you mean having them export a QT and reimport it
Can be time consuming but is exactly what I would have to do when I get it.
I frequently see guys on her saying that they receive avid media from
Avid editors. Are they receiving the whole sequence of all
Individual clips or is there a work around to export it as a self contained movie?

Btw after messing with avid a bit I no longer fear waves plug in coming to avid. The audio features totallt suck. Good luck mixing in that :)

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
Old 12-02-2010, 06:26 AM

We share storage here with the avid editors so an AAF with the whole video timeline works great, unless there are files or effects that the mojo can't handle on it's own. In these cases, the guys here do what they call a Video Mixdown. This is essentially an internal video bounce in Avid resulting in just one video clip. It's quite quick, and plays perfectly through my SD Mojo. If this is what you're after I'll get one of our editors to let me have the steps needed. ! I
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 AM

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
Any info you could post from your editor will be much appriciated.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cananball View Post
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
Any info you could post from your editor will be much appriciated.

Exactly. Any avid video editor should know how to do a video mixdown. They will have to render effects that need rendering first or put in a slug. You also want to make sure they mix down to an avid video resolution that the Mojo is capable of playing back and that you have drives fast enough to play the higher resolutions. I've been using quicktimes for so long I've forgotten what they are, but it's in the Mojo manual.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM

Video Mixdown, I forgot all about that. It is the solution, of course.