Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-31-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Protools Le -> Any sign of a \'004?

Hi

Just recently upgraded to a flash 8-core MacPro and upgrading all my software etc. FCS2 all that kind of gear. My '001 of course is staying with my old G4 Tower.

I have this opportunity to break with Digidesign and try Logic or Digital Performer, but I have to say that I'm not over the moon about needing to learn a new Audio package, but at the same time I'm a little cheesed off over the years with being tightly reigned in by Digi products.

eg, I do Post on my '001 buy have never been able to justify the riduculous product prices for DV Toolkit or Digi Translator etc

I've been reading the leopard posts recently and saw some statements about the possibility of a new Digi product, eg a Digi004 with improved preamps etc, and features that other software users like timecode take for granted have.

Is there any rumours about such a product in the near future?

Apologies in advance to those rusted on Digi users who may find this post offensive or pruduct disloyal.

Cheers

Skip
Old 05-31-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Protools Le -> Any sign of a \'004?

The 003 is still pretty new really when compared to how long the 002 was in production. I would work on the assumption a '004' is still years away.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:39 PM

Hey Skip,
I am in the same position with an 8-core Mac Pro and I want to get an oo3R. I did buy Logic and it is great. I also am wondering if I should wait for a new product from Digi. You would think that in about a year something will come along.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:29 PM

I wonder how long the 002 will be supported. Im considering buying a used one and getting it modded through Black Lion Audio.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 PM

Thanks Guy's

Yea. I know it hasn't been that long since the'003 revised the '002, but someone was quoting a DigiAdmin / Tech post recently about how Digi were in tune with their customer base RA, RA, RA and maybe hinted at a product somewhere between a '003 and the TDM range. I guess something like the MOTU 896HD or 192HD.

While the post never exactly described the exact details, most of us punters, well me anyway, interpreted this as an indication of things to come.

I frequent MacRumours quite a bit and it appears Apple leaks like the proverbial sieve. I was wondering if there was anyone here who knew anything etc.

Incidently, is DP or Logic any easier to learn over the other?

Cheers

Skip
Old 06-01-2008, 12:00 AM

I traded in the 001 for the 003R and it was a waste. I should have keep the digi 001 because I still have my G4 with lots of apps and other stuff. The 003R is rather pricey compared to the competition.

I now have been using Ableton Live for about a year now and I'm having so much fun. I'm not recording bands, but sequencing, mixing loops and old Pro Tools stuff.

I got a motu 828mk3 for $749. It has alot of features for the money and it's not a huge rack like the 003R is. It kinda feels good to be able to check out the competition after using Pro Tools for so many years.

I sold the 003R and I still have a Mbox2 to play back old Pro Tools stuff. I got introduced to Live from the MBox2. I was in the same postion, just got a mac pro and I needed the hardware. The Mbox2 came with Live Lite. Got the upgrade for $300. Thanks Digidesign for that

Pro Tools is still the best for recording bands, but for electronic composition, might be nice try something new. My vote is for Live.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:15 AM

I would be more than willing to buy a new system from Digi that is a true step up from the 003. They have to be working on something that will make their LE customer base feel like they are spending their money wisely. There are obviously alot of new Mac Pro users that are wondering about this. I would rather spend 3 to $4000 on a complete Digi rig that doesnt need more plug-ins and a additional interface for inputs or have to ship it off to have the thing modified.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
The 003 is still pretty new really when compared to how long the 002 was in production. I would work on the assumption a '004' is still years away.
Except that the 003 line isn't a "new" product, or even an "upgraded" product. Digi said so themselves after the initial furor from their user base at the 003 launch. It's a product "refresh". This is proved by the fact that the 003 is essentially the same thing as the 002 line, but it has wordclock, "supposedly" better preamps and converters, and a new plastic case that looks like it came off the bridge of Star Trek: The Next Generation. So basically the 003 line is as old as the 002 line, which is what? six years now?

In a upgrade driven industry, fueled by having the newest stuff available, six years is looonngg time to keep the same product on the market.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM

I tend to think that if a newer more capable version of PTLE, comes down the pike that it will be tied to some new hardware. The 003, while a incremental improvement over the 002 was not really what folks were hoping for. While I'm hoping for a better version of LE or something totally new I'm not holding my breath either....

Since there is no reason to upgrade the 003 anytime soon my guess would be that the 004 is tied to a future software or platform release.

We dont really need new hardware-what we need is more capable software....and the software is capable enough as it is. PTLE just needs to up its game compared to the rest of the DAW's.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
We dont really need new hardware-what we need is more capable software....and the software is capable enough as it is. PTLE just needs to up its game compared to the rest of the DAW's.
I disagree. I want a Protools hardware interface through which I can record 16 channels at 24/96, of which Digi doesn't offer at this time unless your spring $10,000 for an HD system. And oh yeah, 48V switches on the front of the unit would be good too.

The software could be improved too, like a more reasonable approach to expanded track counts.