Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 PM

Default Why no portable HDX interface?

I wonder why Avid isn‘t producing a portable HDX interface? I often hear people raving about UAD Apollos and how cool it is to record with plugins, but on the other hand i hear them telling me how outdated a HDX system is. Any ideas why they (Avid) are not doing it?
Old 10-15-2017, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Why no portable HDX interface?

There is no DigiLink system that can operate without attached IO peripherals. So that might important to solve first. I think that may have been promised for HD Native and never delivered.

A HDX card is quite large. It's not likely to be a small portable package, unless you gutted the capacity a lot. You may not save a lot over what you can do with a HDX Card in an external Thunderbolt chassis today.

HDX low latency when tracking through plugins and lots of IO connectivity don't seem pressing items for use on a portable computer, that's likely more live tracking and mixing sessions, stuff that can be done with native plugins.

Lots of work for a small market.

Avid may not have development staff available. I expect the folks that did HDX and HD Native are long gone.

State of Thunderbolt on Windows PC is still not great, would a mac only product fly?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Interesting question. S3 is partially Mac-only in that it works as a controller on both platforms, but the interface part of it is Mac-only with AVB(still wish they would solve that one). Technically speaking, one might call the S3L a "portable" HDX system, but that's a bit of a stretch Then, one needs to define "portable" A rolling rack with a rack-mounted computer, a drawer with keyboard/mouse and a few digilink IO boxes is "portable" for some folks

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-15-2017, 11:30 AM

Stick an HDX card in an expansion chassis and attach an interface.
Will work with a MacBook Pro and you could fit everything in a 2u or 3u rack.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 10-15-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Stick an HDX card in an expansion chassis and attach an interface.
Will work with a MacBook Pro and you could fit everything in a 2u or 3u rack.
Yes, exactly and just doing lots of work to packaging a HDX card in a fancy box may not get you that much smaller to be worth that effort.