Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 AM

Default Re: So, latency on HD Native vs HDX?

That 350 samples is from TDM world which I know by heart. Perhaps HDX is faster?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Sample session

Picture 1 is the session in playback - note AbbeyRoad Native reverb. 2000+ samples of Delay Compensation.

Picture 2 - 3 tracks in REC mode. Note that CMP (compensation on the REC enabled tracks) is Zero now. That means they are not time time aligned with the Reverb return. Fine for a reverb but could surprise you if parallel processing while tracking. The total delay in plugins (DLY Line) is worst on the Ac Guitar track - 31 samples + 10 samples more for the Master.

This is how HDX works. I believe TDM worked the same way but it has been 5 years since I used it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.19.57 AM.jpg (57.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.20.19 AM.jpg (64.4 KB, 0 views)
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html

Last edited by propower; 02-15-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That 350 samples is from TDM world which I know by heart. Perhaps HDX is faster?
I have to aks, what plugins did you find you really needed that have up to if not more than 350 samples of delay?

I've never been in that situation. Not saying its not vilid, just curious?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I have to aks, what plugins did you find you really needed that have up to if not more than 350 samples of delay?

I've never been in that situation. Not saying its not vilid, just curious?
Can't remember which one is the reason but it all keeps adding up. I usually record bands in front of audience so I have a full mix at all times. Providing monitor mixes is just fine with that latency level, but becomes unbearable at about 500 samples in which case I need to drop some of the plugins.

Not talking about plugins that take huge lookahead time, just eq+comp+reverb+delay and some spice plugins here and there. Most of the time I don't see total latency below 256 which means TDM systems actually have had higher latency than Native systems, despite people shunning at Native systems because they are cheaper. I use both, and artists don't hear a difference.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:36 PM

So real world... in my HDN setup, with a 64 buffer and tracking at 44k.... with one Slate VMR on the vocal track reporting 0 delay... is that latency wise better/worse/same than an HDX System set to 64 or 128 (my Magma had to be set to 128 in the old days) with the same plugin (one slate VMR)? It's hard for me to test this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 PM

HDX vs native set to 64 buffer at 44.1 with a Native plugin (VMR) on the Record enabled track will have a bit more latency (from the mixer routing and necessary AAX-DSP plugin before the Native one) than HDN.

Buffer independent latency only happens with HDX if you use only AAX-DSP plugins on the record enabled track.

Last edited by propower; 02-26-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:11 AM

On my session when recording vocals or live musicians I just set my hdx2 to 128 buffer and use sends for the cues. (Thru the xmon) I can have all plugs running on other tracks with native or dsp plugs. If the record enabled track has a native like a slate vmr it just gets auto disabled. It just works fine. I don't ever recall having latency issues if I just set the proper buffer setting. Are people experiencing them on hdx? Or is this thread an academic one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 09:14 AM

IMO - Academic

If you put a Native right after an AAX-DSP plugin it will not disable when placed in Record and will have at least 2X the DAW buffer added in latency. If you don't have an AAX-DSP plugin ahead of it it will disable in REC and add no latency.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I don't ever recall having latency issues if I just set the proper buffer setting.
I have, but those are in the range of 256@48k being just fine and 512@48k being unbearable
Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
On my session when recording vocals or live musicians I just set my hdx2 to 128 buffer and use sends for the cues. (Thru the xmon) I can have all plugs running on other tracks with native or dsp plugs. If the record enabled track has a native like a slate vmr it just gets auto disabled. It just works fine. I don't ever recall having latency issues if I just set the proper buffer setting. Are people experiencing them on hdx? Or is this thread an academic one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The buffer is, of course, irrelevant with HDX and TDM. Turn it to 1024 and you'll still have the same low latency and, indeed, TDM and HDX will automatically disable native plugins in the monitored track when in record mode.

I'd say the thread's mostly academic and trying to correct misinformation being perpetrated by the moderator.