Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-10-2017, 03:31 AM

Default Digi 002 midi

Hi.

I am using PT8le and Sonar Pro on a Win 8.1 64bit /16bit 16gb RAM system.
With Sonar ,audio is being handled by an Emu 1212m

I would like to use Digi 002 console as a controller with Sonar Pro, and noticed that in Sonar ,there are TWO MIDI options listed (hm okay there are three actually but the one is obviously dedicated to the in /out midi socket on back of device...)

FW 002 MIDI AsyncMidiControl
FW 002 MIDI MidiControl
(and ofcourse it lists a FW 002 MIDI IN/OUT)

Which MIDI port would you suggest me to try configure with Sonar's learn function?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 midi

Personally, I would dump the 002 and try the new Presonus Faderport8.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-14-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Personally, I would dump the 002 and try the new Presonus Faderport8.
Hi Dave

thanks for the suggestion
Well I think that if I was to buy me something new that would be Behringer X-Touch ,looks MUCH better to me than Presonus.Only the endless encoder and FOUR on each channel strip ,makes it so much better for slightly more.

Anyway I'm using mostly PT8 ,and Digi does it all so nicely....
Old 09-15-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicapg View Post
Hi Dave

thanks for the suggestion
Well I think that if I was to buy me something new that would be Behringer X-Touch ,looks MUCH better to me than Presonus.Only the endless encoder and FOUR on each channel strip ,makes it so much better for slightly more.

Anyway I'm using mostly PT8 ,and Digi does it all so nicely....
Hmm, PT8 limits things quite a bit. You should look at some reviews on the X-Touch as a ton of people bought them, but suddenly a whole lot were on the second hand market really fast If the 002 does what you need, I would roll with it, but I would consider upgrading your audio with a "better" preamp or two for important channels. The 002 preamps aren't known for much beyond that they work

Old 09-15-2017, 10:29 PM

Default Digi 002 midi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicapg View Post
FW 002 MIDI AsyncMidiControl
I would expect this one to be Midi Timecode/Midi Beat Clock.
Quote:
FW 002 MIDI MidiControl
I would expect this one to be the control surface via HUI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-17-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmm, PT8 limits things quite a bit. You should look at some reviews on the X-Touch as a ton of people bought them, but suddenly a whole lot were on the second hand market really fast If the 002 does what you need, I would roll with it, but I would consider upgrading your audio with a "better" preamp or two for important channels. The 002 preamps aren't known for much beyond that they work
Hi ,
I agree I'm not enthused with the sound of Digi 002 pres.I have a Behringer T1953 solid state with a blend of tube sound pre and using it puire solid state sounds quite transparent .I also feed the digital out of digi to E-mu ,so I can use its AKM converters which for its price are quite good.
My main issue is that given PT8 limitations ,having also Sonar Pro installed makes things better.Besides the limit on number of track with PT8LE , there are features in Sonar not available in any PT version ,like unlimited inserts or Mix A/B just to name a few .Especially unlimited inserts is great cause I don't care if I need to have for example 3 compressors and 3 EQs on the same strip and mute all except the one I like and be able to compare between them, without worrying getting out of slots to insert something else.For me that's quite flexible,and this feature alone is the reason to use it.

I am a bit undecided on which system to mix on : PT8LE is track limited,. and I think there's no PDC.Sonar doesn't has these limitations but the Digi integration is great.I don't know either about Presonus or the Behringer : but I saw more controls and buttons to push than Presonus

Last edited by sonicapg; 09-17-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:24 PM

Things to consider:
More buttons is necessarily better(in fact, often the opposite is true).
PT 8LE is "caveman" software compared to anything current( PT9 was a step up(added ADC). PT10 was a game changer, PT11 was monstrously better(because of being full 64 bit software) and the current 12.8 would make your head spin(assuming a computer capable of running it well) in comparison to LE8. Is PT now better than Sonar, Studio One, Logic, etc? I don't know the answer but truthfully don't care. At the end of the day, all the current DAW options can give great results(with a skilled op and decent recording techniques), so I say, use the one that works the way you like I curse PT from time to time, but it handles my needs in ways that keep me onboard