Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Dual Boot 10.6 running 8HD & 10.7 running 10HD

Hi all,

I couldn't seem to find this info so I thought I'd ask away....

I am currently running 10.6.8 with 8HD in a commercial studio with bookings everyday.

I want to move to 10HD and purchased the upgrade. But before I go for it I wanted to clarify two things.

I have 10.7 on a new drive that I used migration assistant to pull my 10.6 info off and I want to upgrade 10 on that and boot between the two while I get used 10.7 and 10HD. I know that 10 is a different PTHD file so I am aware of that aspect.

My questions are:

1. If I upgrade my 8HD license to 10 HD will my ilok will I still be able to boot 8HD up on the 10.6 system?

2. Is the migrate assistant a bad idea?

Thanks in advance to all.

TKO - STL Audio.

Last edited by STL Audio; 03-24-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Dual Boot 10.6 running 8HD & 10.7 running 10HD

You will probably be required to surrender your PT8 license when you upgrade. However, you may have a backup license for PT8 on your iLok. If so, I would move it to another iLok before you upgrade so you can still use it, even though you have surrendered the primary license.

The way I approached having two bootable partitions was to use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a block level clone of my 10.6.8 system drive on an external drive. Then I partitioned one of my other internal drives and block level cloned the external drive to the new partition. Then I upgraded one of the systems to Lion and PT10. This way both the Snow Leopard and the Lion partitions are as identical as possible. I don't think the Migration Assistant is necessarily a bad idea, but I don't know exactly which files it transfers and which it doesn't, so I felt that working with block level clones was the most predictable approach.

You can make the cloned partition on the original system drive in a single step if you want, but it won't be a block level clone because you have to be able to unmount both the source drive and the destination drive for a block level clone. There probably won't be any issues if you don't do a block level clone, but I felt that a block level clone on a separate drive was a safer approach, plus you have a bootable backup of the original system drive on the external drive in case anything goes wrong.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks Gary.

I'll make a copy of the ilok!

TKO
Old 04-14-2012, 05:38 AM

Hey Guys,

So from a fresh 10.7 I used migrate assistant to pull my data from 10.6. I install PTHD 10 and for the first week it was amazing. Now for no reason it just crashes every 3-5 mins. No beach ball just a crash and log. I has crashed on one session now so many time the PT file is corrupt and won't open.

I have booted back into my 10.6 drive after 'Saving As' the albums songs I am currently working on into PTHD8 files so I can run stable and its fine.

Should I :

A. Just build from scratch my 10.7 with no migrate and see how I go?
B. Try some ideas on the 10.7?
C. Take my 10.6 re clone and upgrade that to PTHD 10. I only moved to 10 because I was under the impression you had to.

I am running :

Brand New 8 Core Mac Pro
4GB Stock Ram and 16GB upgraded
Magma expansion chassis

Any help is appreciated.

TKO - STL Audio.