Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-04-2020, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Clip effects as a paid add-on

Again, I can't speak for every DAW but I'm an Ableton Live Suite license holder. I have it open in front of me and I cannot see a way of adding individual clip fx in the manner we see in Ultimate. You have clip-specific control over transposition and warping. You can write clip-specific automation but that's not the same thing. You would need to insert a compressor and write an automation envelope in the clip editor but if you move that clip to another track without the same insert then the envelope is lost.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:01 PM

Avid will never give up their payment model...
Every DAW has lets say near unlimited Tracks... Reaper, Logic, Nuendo, DP and so on... Only Avid is charging you to get more spectacular voices...
Protools Ultimate Native is a joke... Without Avid Hardware, you are limited to 32 I/O... Without HDX, you cannot use Sidechains in a normal way, cause this feature is HDX only...

Sure, this isn´t good, but i think, if you miss clip fx and more...switch to another DAW, which gives you all the things, Protools is missing...

I am not a fan of Avid and some decisions are just wow...

but no one is forced to use Protools...especially today with all the great alternatives... I use it, cause of all advantages HDX brings to the table and the workflow is great.. Still hoping Folders find a good way into the Eucon workflow... At last bring sidechain DC to the native mixer of PTU... Every DAW can do this... Whats the problem... Cause its really time consuming to prepare a session made with HDX for someone, who has only a native version of PTU...
Old 08-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Avid will have to catch up with the rest of the world or be left behind. The amazing thing about being a market leader is how long things tend to stay in your favor while they are happening. And then looking back how quickly it seems a more rapid decline.

Folks don't want add-on pricing per small feature. Having a split Ultimate/Standard product already allows a good amount of price spread/value capture. Voice packs, Digilink licenses, and IO restrictions with CoreAudio/ASIO (esp. for Ultimate Users) are already enough of an insult to users.

And Avid reported results yesterday... maybe not bad given the COVID-19 situation, but maybe more will play out in Q3?? The more synthetic numbers look great, like migration to subscription. OK a nice thing but... it's a synthetic forced result. And "cloud enabled" whatever that means... just buzzwords for analysts, especially given that Pro Tools cloud collaboration is flakey as heck. But hard numbers like revenue... down 20%. Gross margins up 6% so some good management there. Cash down slightly. But at what long term impacts as costs are cut? And what other cutting is Avid going to have to do moving forwards?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-04-2020 at 04:38 PM.