Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-02-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Download error (Communication error)

So I recently purchased a beatmaker tool (DOPE/HUSTLE) for Pro Tools First and every time I try to download from Avid Link I get the same Communication error. Any way to fix this? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Download error (Communication error)

I'd recommend trying to get the installer directly from Avid.com.

Log in (or register and log in), and you may be able to click on "Products Not Yet Downloaded" and find the installers you need. If not, try "View My Products", look for and click on "Pro Tools First", and then you may need to click on "View Software Download Links & Product Details".

Hopefully one of those paths will lead you to what you're looking for.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:15 AM

So I went to view my products where I see Avid Link, and Pro Tools First, but the Beatmaker BUNDLE has its own drop-down separate from the other two. I downloaded both DOPE, and HUSTLE from ujam anyways, but still no success with Pro Tools First. Am I missing anything? Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:10 AM

You mean you went to the ujam website and downloaded dope and hustle from there? Pro Tools First is crippled and only runs with plugins purchased and delivered by the Avid Store. I believe it also works with versions downloaded from your Avid Account. I will be surprised if it works with plugins downloaded from a vendor’s website.

Folks here gave you specific instructions for a reason. If you downloaded from the ujam website I would try uninstalling those plugins and try downloading and reinstalling the plugins from your Avid.com account. If that does not work contact Avid support, they are the only folks who can sort out licensing issues. If you get stuck there post your support incident number here and folks here may be able to escalate that.

Unfortunately Avid Link is not very well written and can be flakey at times. Personally I would not invest my time in Pro Tools First, not when there are so many other DAWs available, including Pro Tools Standard.(And I uninstall Link with Pro Tools standard... less unneeded crapware on the system, and I have systems security concerns with Link).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-03-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM

Yes I downloaded both DOPE and HUSTLE from ujam, and yeah I may just end up uninstalling Pro Tools First, as well as Avid link for that reason. With that being said though I also ended up purchasing Pro Tools Standard, and can now use DOPE and HUSTLE there, so that's good at least. Just strange having Pro Tools First to be an introduction to Pro Tools, and it being this dodgy. (download errors, difficulties transferring projects at times, projects disappearing after software updates...) Hopefully I won't have to deal with that moving forward though. Once again thanks for your help JJ, Darryl Ramm. Appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM

Glad you moved onto Pro Tools Standard.

I would uninstall Cloud Collaboration components as well as Avid Link. Neither work well. And unfortunately First's dependence on cloud collaboration was a mistake, it has not been reliable. Not the way to launch new untested technology (Avid should have make this an option only and shown value in that to gather adoption, not jam it down poor unsuspecting new users throats). Make sure you follow the systems optimization steps under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page. While all that seems awkward try to do all you can.. it can make a large difference to Pro Tools stability/performance.

The plugin crippling with Pro Tool First is just so annoying. Third party plugin vendors have shunned the store like the plague, so Pro Tools First is a barren plugin island. And it has a toxic side effect that Avid likely never thought of. Anybody with Pro Tools Standard or Ultimate installed usually has a good collection of third party plugins. The moment those users try to run Pro Tools First on their computer they are met with a slew of Plugin Errors about all those third partly plugins not working in First, it's too painful to even try to start up. The unfortunate side effect is lots of experienced Pro Tools users, including folks on DUC, just cannot run First, and the product gets shunned here. It's just such a badly thought out mess.