Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-23-2016, 08:11 AM

Default What's so special about clip effects?

Hi all,

I just started using PT12, after being stuck at PT10 for a few years because of the 32/64bit issue. So far I am loving it, nice new features especially the commit feature, but I have a couple of question.

First of all can someone give me a couple of real world examples why "clip effects" is so special. Why wouldn't one just have clips they wanted effected differently on different tracks and use regular track effects? Where exactly would effecting each clip in the same track differently be of real use? Would love to hear a few scenario examples.

Secondly, for me Commit is a game changer, will save tons of time, but exactly how is "Freeze" different from "Commit"?

Thanks in advance!

-Darryl
www.gamebeatstudios.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Re: What's so special about clip effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Duncan View Post
First of all can someone give me a couple of real world examples why "clip effects" is so special. Why wouldn't one just have clips they wanted effected differently on different tracks and use regular track effects? Where exactly would effecting each clip in the same track differently be of real use? Would love to hear a few scenario examples.
I think you nailed it but somehow still don't understand it.

Say, you have a 100 track mix already. Why wouldn't you love the clip fx feature that saves you from yet another track that is only active for -say- 8 bars or so. I'm not even going to the ancient voice limits... But it is effectively saving you tons of time because earlier you needed to dial in automation to get that 8 bars done, but now just simply clip fx and that's it. Not to mention control surfaces where you sometimes need to flip banks to get certain tracks available...

I myself wouldn't make an extra track if I can somehow avoid it.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:47 AM

For me, on bigger score mixes where obviously locked-picture is unknown, and the composer send me additional tracks even before the final bounce, it is a great time saver to use clip effects. No need for many additional tracks, no need for additional automation. Although I only scratched the surface, but treating a problematic track with clip effects, then use my "beauty" plugins to make it great is a great time saver. And obviously if you move your clip, your treatment goes with it, anywhere in the session.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:03 PM

In a modern DAW you can do almost anything you want to, and you don't *need* clip fx. You can do the same things in other ways. But the Clip FX feature is a great convenience. And PT is finally beginning to catch up to other DAWs with their clip fx functionality. Many other DAWs have had full-blown clip fx capability (unlike the limited subset in PT) for many years.

Once you have it, you'll like it.

Quote:
Hi all,

I just started using PT12, after being stuck at PT10 for a few years because of the 32/64bit issue. So far I am loving it, nice new features especially the commit feature, but I have a couple of question.

Secondly, for me Commit is a game changer, will save tons of time, but exactly how is "Freeze" different from "Commit"?

Thanks in advance!

-Darryl
www.gamebeatstudios.com

Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
May be worth looking at 'Object Oriented Editing', Sequioa & Samplitude have been doing this for a long time; PT12.6 seems to be a 'lite' version of the same idea (and about time in my view; hard to go back once you've used Sequoia).
See for example,
https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...g--audio-15711
https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...g--audio-10794
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM

Reaper and Studio One also have similar clip/object features. They are also far beyond what PT offers in 12.6, though those two products are not quite as sophisticated as Samplitude/Sequoia. I'm not familiar enough with the other DAW products (Logic, etc.) to know if they also have something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdraper View Post
May be worth looking at 'Object Oriented Editing', Sequioa & Samplitude have been doing this for a long time; PT12.6 seems to be a 'lite' version of the same idea (and about time in my view; hard to go back once you've used Sequoia).
See for example,
https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...g--audio-15711
https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...g--audio-10794
Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 PM

OK, a real world example. You have an acoustic guitar track. The guitarist was punched in during the recording, but during the punch-in he was a little closer to the mic and there is a bit more proximity effect. You can EQ and set volume during the punch-in section, and make it sound identical to the rest of the track without having to create a separate track to do it. And you can keep all of the track-based FX the same.

Perhaps you want a drum pattern and you want all FX the same, except the EQ different during the verses. Trivial to do with Clip FX.

EQ a singer differently during different sections. And so on.

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

-Darryl
www.gamebeatstudios.com

Old 10-24-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
OK, a real world example. You have an acoustic guitar track. The guitarist was punched in during the recording, but during the punch-in he was a little closer to the mic and there is a bit more proximity effect. You can EQ and set volume during the punch-in section, and make it sound identical to the rest of the track without having to create a separate track to do it. And you can keep all of the track-based FX the same.

Perhaps you want a drum pattern and you want all FX the same, except the EQ different during the verses. Trivial to do with Clip FX.

EQ a singer differently during different sections. And so on.
Equally trivial to do with AudioSuite. I too don't really get what is so great about Clip FX - perhaps as a temp? In all the examples you give, I'd have zero problem with making those corrections permanent in AS.

My main problem with Clip FX right now is that all systems that load your project have to be 12.6 or higher. For Post, that feels a long way off. For someone either using only a small number of known suites or just working alone, I see it as another option that might be suited for particular tasks, but it still feels pretty un-essential to me.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM

There are people who used to think all edits should be permanent too. But that was 20 years ago. This is 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Equally trivial to do with AudioSuite. I too don't really get what is so great about Clip FX - perhaps as a temp? In all the examples you give, I'd have zero problem with making those corrections permanent in AS.

My main problem with Clip FX right now is that all systems that load your project have to be 12.6 or higher. For Post, that feels a long way off. For someone either using only a small number of known suites or just working alone, I see it as another option that might be suited for particular tasks, but it still feels pretty un-essential to me.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
My main problem with Clip FX right now is that all systems that load your project have to be 12.6 or higher. For Post, that feels a long way off.....

Yeah I too, have no experience with either 12.6 not clip fx..I'm sure I will try it once I fully commit.

Question is whether or not 12.5 will be compatible with Mac 10.12...that will be the "tell all" for my upgrade timeline
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.