Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2002, 09:36 PM

Default RECORDING WITH CLICK

how can i set up my protools to record using a "click", and how can I use an external source to get the click sound, also how can i make it sound through the MBOX?????

thanxzs guys
Old 12-18-2002, 09:11 AM

Default Re: RECORDING WITH CLICK

Madison, What are you using for an external click?

Reason I ask, is because if you have a keyborad, or drum machine, or sampler, or one of those roland pecusion pads, you can just record a one shot into protools, put protools in grid mode, then make your own click.

Last weekend we did a 10 song session like that.

I recorded a basic click sound, I put it in 1/4 notes, or 1/8 notes, whichever worked best.
Found the tempo of the song, set the session to that bpm, then the drummer added other percusion sounds, on other tracks, and we tracked to that.

Worked great.

Hope this helps
Old 12-18-2002, 09:27 AM

Hi Madison -

What Sugar is suggesting is actually the preferred method, because you will actually only be recording a very small audio file (one drum hit or one measure) which will then be copied and pasted over and over in the tracks playlist...this takes up alot less space on your HD than recording a full legth audio click track.

I would still suggest however that you use the midi click in PTLE to drive your sound module, and then record the analog audio out of the module back in PTLE via the Digi001 or Mbox. This way your recorded click will be in sync with the PT midi click, which is necessary for the grid mode to be accurate...that way, you can change the tempo later and resnap to grid and still be spot on.

Click on the metronome, set the meter and tempo, and set the midi send output to your module (drum sounds are usually on channel 10). Then create an audio track to record the analog click coming back from your module into the 001...record enable, hit play (make sure the click is turned on), and record a measure of click. In grid mode, trim the selected region, copy and paste it for the desired length of your song, and snap to grid.

I'm away from my system right now (on a PC...yuck! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ), so I hope I'm not screwing up here...perhaps someone can verify that this is correct.

Good luck,

Rob
Old 12-18-2002, 10:14 AM

Hey Madison,

I've just begun using a free plugin called "click" that works really well. They also have a great guitar tuner too!

http://www.sonoria.pl/jk/myrtas.html

Hope this helps

Chonk
Old 12-18-2002, 11:09 PM

I am also not hearing a click. I have a synth connected to Mbox and managed to get a click, but it was using the sound that the synth was set to...i just want to record enable an audio track, select a tempo and have a 1 bar count-in that is the standard metronome click sound on synths...you know..'ONE..two..three..four..'
How does this work if say i want to record an audio track of keyboard at 110bpm in 4/4 time..how do i get that click?
Old 12-20-2002, 12:00 AM

Octo -

Do you have a midi interface (I don't use the Mbox, so I'm not sure if it has one...I use the digi001 which has a midi interface built-in)? If you don't, you need one because you need to feed your sound module (in your case, your synth) with the midi click generated by PT (you also need to select the proper send/recieve midi channel for the correct device in the Midi Click dialog window...drum sounds are usually on channel 10). A workaround it to use the Quicktime midi instruments as the sound generator. To do this, click on the metronome to open the midi click settings window, select "Quicktime Instruments->Channel 10). then, pop in your meter and tempo settings. Now, you should be able to hear the click out of the Mbox when you press play. If you want to record the click as an audio track, you must take the built-in SM output from your computer (which is 1/8" stereo mini) and feed a channel on your Mbox. then just record enable the track, select the corresponding input, and record!

Good Luck,
Old 12-20-2002, 10:33 PM

Thanks Burner. I have my synth going via USB directly into the MAC, and this works fine. I didn't realise i would need a midi interface to hear the click in pro tools..is there no way the click from pro tools can be sent directly via USB? Thanks man.....(still figuring it all out at 1.33am!!)